WHY NOT??

Threads
Over the years there have been many advances in technology. And the other day I was thinking of how much gas I use every day for my mowers....and that made me wonder.....WHY HAS SOMEONE NOT COME OUT WITH A COMMERCIAL BATTERY POWERED MOWER?? For how long electric and battery operated mowers were around, you would think someone would improve it for commercial use....because lawn care professionals are the ones that use the most gas! :anyone:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Very simple answer. Who is going to push around a mower with the size and weight needed to handle the commercial needs. Second, have you priced the replacement costs of the batteries used in electric cars. Even at 1/4 the cost it would be out of line.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
And then there is the Tax on the fuel more money, more money more money..:thumbdown:

Mini Motors

Threads
I think someone needs to come out with a good self propelled one. That way, you could have enough battery to mow without having to push the weight. And lithium Ion batteries are much lighter than lead acid. That's what the Tesla uses.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
They need. Is a battery start / altinator run and charge wouldnt take a very big battery to start it then the altinator can power it and run electric motors for the self propel

panabiker

Threads
The simple answer is that the batteries just don't store enough energy to do the job compared to the gasoline or diesel. Here is an energy density table. Energy density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At a given weight, gasoline has about 65 times as much energy as the Lithium-ion rechargeables. Even considering electric motor to be 4-5 times more efficient than a gas engine, the pro mower still has to carry many batteries in his truck and swap a battery every 30 minutes. We are not there yet but I believe we will see the continued improvement in battery technology.

Last edited:

chance123

Threads
I think the only way an electric motor could be used in a mower would be hydro motors for the blade and hydro motors on the L & R drive wheels. This would only require One electric motor, and one hydro pump. With an extra set of quick swap batteries, one set could be in service while the other set are being charged. Here in So Cal, the EPA is restricting new things every month and are checking LS contracts with the state to see if everyone is complying. Everyone uses riders. Many use them 10 hours a day 6 days a week. Once we get to the point where we can transmit electric power in a wireless manner, the sky is the limit.

Ariena

Threads
exotion said:
They need. Is a battery start / altinator run and charge wouldnt take a very big battery to start it then the altinator can power it and run electric motors for the self propel

Please explain how the alternator can power a mower. Where does it get it's energy from?

panabiker

Threads
Please explain how the alternator can power a mower. Where does it get it's energy from?
From the motor. That was the classic electric perpetual motion machine design. A motor drives the alternator which generates electricity to power the motor. All you need is an initial kick (or pull) to start the motion. You could even steal the electricity from it to power your house. :laughing: