Why are there such a wide range of reviews good to bad on the same model ?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Why are there such a wide range of reviews good to bad on the same model ?
Two reasons 1) to protect you from injury 2) to stop the belt jumping off the pulley The latter is more important with manual PTO's than electric clutches.

They really only help keep the belt on if the belt keepers are part of the cover.
Most people remove the covers.
1) for heat
2) because debris collect under the cover and pop the belt off.
Around here the sweet gun balls from sweet gum trees get under the cover and get between the belt and cover.

GKL

Threads
Two reasons
1) to protect you from injury
2) to stop the belt jumping off the pulley

The latter is more important with manual PTO's than electric clutches.

Okay, it seems I have a manual control to engage the mower blades, so I guess it might be better to leave my coves on ?

GKL

Threads
They really only help keep the belt on if the belt keepers are part of the cover.
Most people remove the covers.
1) for heat
2) because debris collect under the cover and pop the belt off.
Around here the sweet gun balls from sweet gum trees get under the cover and get between the belt and cover.

.....not sure yet whether to leave my covers on or not since it is is manual.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well it will be a suck it & see.
Don't throw them away.
If the belt keeps on jumping off them put them back on,
Or cut away enough of a hole to allow the debris to exit the cover
Or make up a guard out of a couple of lengths of rod 1/4" dia or larger

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well it will be a suck it & see.
Don't throw them away.
If the belt keeps on jumping off them put them back on,
Or cut away enough of a hole to allow the debris to exit the cover
Or make up a guard out of a couple of lengths of rod 1/4" dia or larger

I never take belt covers off. They are there to protect you and the belts. I just you use a blower and clean the deck and mower after I get through mowing and remove debris. I've never had any issues with debris collecting under the covers. Also works great for cleaning the engine screens, cooling fans and shrouds.

GKL

Threads
I never take belt covers off. They are there to protect you and the belts. I just you use a blower and clean the deck and mower after I get through mowing and remove debris. I've never had any issues with debris collecting under the covers. Also works great for cleaning the engine screens, cooling fans and shrouds.

Does it need to be a very high pressure blower ?

The best I could do right now would be to hook the hose up on my shop vacuum to blow air out, but I'm not sure if that would be enough pressure.

If not, I guess the old fashioned way out cleaning it out by hand would be okay too.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does it need to be a very high pressure blower ?

The best I could do right now would be to hook the hose up on my shop vacuum to blow air out, but I'm not sure if that would be enough pressure.

If not, I guess the old fashioned way out cleaning it out by hand would be okay too.

It doesn't have to be anything special. I've used the BR 200 and the BR 600 and they both do a good job. I've also used my air compressor. A hand Held blower will work. I clean my mowers off after I'm done mowing every lawn before loading them on the trailer. It helps not transporting chinch bugs and any other types of disease from one lawn to another. Try the shop vac and see how it works, it may be all you need.

GKL

Threads
It doesn't have to be anything special. I've used the BR 200 and the BR 600 and they both do a good job. I've also used my air compressor. A hand Held blower will work. I clean my mowers off after I'm done mowing every lawn before loading them on the trailer. It helps not transporting chinch bugs and any other types of disease from one lawn to another. Try the shop vac and see how it works, it may be all you need.

Thanks, fortunately I don't have to worry about carrying anything to another lawn since the mower is just used for our yard, but I can appreciate the benefit of keeping the debris from building up.

I'll see about trying the shop vac.

I just remembered I do have an electric pressure washer, but it uses very high pressure water instead of air, so I don't know if that would be advisable or not and I do want to be careful not to do anything that would hurt more than help.

Midniteoyl

Threads
Thanks, fortunately I don't have to worry about carrying anything to another lawn since the mower is just used for our yard, but I can appreciate the benefit of keeping the debris from building up.

I'll see about trying the shop vac.

I just remembered I do have an electric pressure washer, but it uses very high pressure water instead of air, so I don't know if that would be advisable or not and I do want to be careful not to do anything that would hurt more than help.

Its only high pressure when you pull the trigger.. But the main reason not to use water is it makes the grass clump and almost impossible to get out. Then it sits on your deck wet.

GKL

Threads
Its only high pressure when you pull the trigger.. But the main reason not to use water is it makes the grass clump and almost impossible to get out. Then it sits on your deck wet.

Good point. I'll stick with air and/or cleaning by hand.