What business software/accounting program do you use?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / What business software/accounting program do you use?
Hi oneoldsap! I noticed in my original post that I said they "aren't: going to stop supporting my current version which is wrong. It should have been "are" going to stop. So some of the functions of the program will not work once they do that. And they are going to an annual fee of approximately $1000 a year to support/update the new version.
Yes that is why I keep using old computers and old softwear that you only pay for once .
Annual fees to MYOB did nothing but got new tax tables for employees .
Linking up with banks directly is another waste of time unless you are getting hundreds of payments a day.
I usually reconsile my accounts once a month when the bank statement arrives through the post .
Business softwear is supposed to save you time and make your life easier not have you jumping through hoops .
Thus the total time spent doing the banking is less than 1 hour a month
Using 2 different computers allows me to do the business bit in the same time as it takes to have a rest & a cup of tea which for me is the end of the business day & my mental key to switch out of mower thinking & go into motorcycle mode.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is why I suggested checking out the software I use here to run my shop. The unregistered version free except for some non invasive advertising. My current version is a paid version but that was just wanting to help out the programmer and the fact I felt a little guilty using a freeware version. I have been using the software since 2014 so I do have a lot info packed into it. I have found it to be extremely useful to me as an one person ran shop.

I currently have the following job in various stages of repair. Some have taken a while as parts are on back order and some I just haven't got back to since the parts have arrived last week.
1647309151655.png
So yes I am already running a month behind and it getting worst as Spring start-up is here already.

I also have multiple PO that are either not order, partially received, or on order currently which the system is keeping track of for me.

And the software allows for multiple terminals to be ran at the same via networking. Just have to be login as different users at each terminal. It is nice to be able to look up the info if I am in the shop or in the office as they are about 250 ft apart and that would be a lot of walking back and forth al day long.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
always depends on how much you want it to do. I use Excel spread sheets to keep track of every thing. I have a word template that I use for invoices. But I don't need a line item program that keeps track of inventory as it is sold. Point of Sale software is what you need if you are going to do that. Any company that makes it is going to charge for it though.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
always depends on how much you want it to do. I use Excel spread sheets to keep track of every thing. I have a word template that I use for invoices. But I don't need a line item program that keeps track of inventory as it is sold. Point of Sale software is what you need if you are going to do that. Any company that makes it is going to charge for it though.
Do your spreadsheets keeps a repair history by equipment model/serial as to what was done and what parts used for the past ten years. In the software I run all this is easily accessible.

Example of a work order that I just completed.
1659525693019.png
1659525733482.png
Sorry but the Adminsoft software I run is available as free software that is supported by advertising which only shows up as you exit the software and the one line advertising line for Adminsoft software on invoices.

Now Sales Prospecting and Sales Orders section are for registered versions only but all other sections are available in the free version.

There is a paid registration version. My current version is a paid version where I could remove the ad line on invoices if wanted to but I don't. I felt that it was better to support the programmer plus I get priority tech support when needed. I am one of his biggest users when it comes the amount SKUs (inventory items) price files on my system. I currently have over 954,000 items listed (includes supersedes, NOS, aftermarket crosses, and NLA items).

When I first started his price file imports caused problems due to the shear number of items being imported (over 150,000 items at a time) but he has resolved those issues of taking days to import 150,000 down to under an half hour. Then there were other problems we had to resolve related to superseding during imports as initially the program would lose bin locations during superseding. Now I have an option to transfer all data to the new SKU numbers. The option is really important to me as I have notes on the parts too that needed transferring to the new SKU #s along with associated parts lists.

And considering I have over 2,200 different items in stock I really need to keep the bin location on superseding or items will not be easily found.

1659525846455.png
And the programmer recently added Sales Prospecting and Sales Orders to the program set. I don't use it myself as I primary just use the Auto Manger portion and inventory tracking / pricing. The only thing that don't work is the Payroll section as that is only for the UK which where his company is located.

But as with all software there are things can stand improvements and errors can be introduced during updates (which are quickly resolved once reported); although, I am still recovering from one a couple years ago where all my inventory movements were compromised. That time I went from having $26K in stock to having $750K in stock. Now with problem corrected I am back down to $38K in stock with a few items still being reported as in stock when they are not. But this is fairly close to my actual inventory as I have added a lot parts during this time frame. I will be cleaning the shop wall to wall this Fall/Winter, doing another annual manual inventory check as I still have a few items without Bin locations do superseding, and building maintenance. And I might even inventory all my tools. I really should do that one for insurance purposes.

Also note I have been using this software since 2012 so it about to start dumping some the older info now.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Here is a link to where the software can be downloaded.

https://adminsoftware.biz/download.shtml

I would recommend anyone running a shop at least check it out. Might just surprise those doing things the hard way or using software not design for our type of business. Even those that want to use POS style system with bar code scanner and multiple terminals are supported.

I only found one drawback and that is the inventory price files must regularly updated especially with all the prices changes going on lately. Yes it is a pain to keep having to update monthly but it is now necessary because our current status economy wise.

Due to me using FIFO I have requested an option for the PO system to use the latest cost price instead of last purchase price. It does throw off POs when not edit with current cost prices when an item been purchased in the past. This problem just recently came to light to all the recent price changes I have done.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Star,
I think you will find that fazeelnawaz567 is either a spammer or a web bot
2 identical posts, in the wrong place that actually make zero sense

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Star,
I think you will find that fazeelnawaz567 is either a spammer or a web bot
2 identical posts, in the wrong place that actually make zero sense
Yes I seen those posts and didn't respond to them. The one I was responding to was sgkent's post as quoted.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hate spammers. You have my permission to hang them by their private parts if you catch them. The hours of my life that have been spent undoing their crap makes me have no compassion for them what so ever.

Star - no, I do not keep a history like you do. They clients I still have in my business I moved them to a monthly retainer fee. I am formally retired and just help a few people whom I chose to stay with because they listen to suggestions better than most, making supporting them easy. I only have to say please don't do that once. :)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Kent,

I just about had it with things too. Just more aggravation then I can keep up with lately. I got equipment sitting on the repair yard for over three months due to parts back orders.

It mostly dealing OEMs that are just dragging their feet on delivering parts. I just cancel part of an order because Kohler wanted to take 45 days to ship a couple shoulder screws. I will just need to get them from my hardware supplier which has them in stock once I get the specs. Kawasaki is taking a month or more to deliver parts that my distributor does have in stock. And Briggs has the 793880 camshafts on back order until after Christmas. I just other brand to replace those engines that I can get parts for. None those HFT engines either.

I am seriously considering retiring in a couple years once I get on social security. I live on near nothing now but at least the SS would be a steady income. I probably just sell off the parts then.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well the software just help out here as a customer could sworn that I replace his deck bearing in his JD last year. But records only showed me doing the front wheel bearings. Now I did his CC a couple years ago where I install 6 6204-2RS deck bearings.