What business software/accounting program do you use?

lyldfred

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / What business software/accounting program do you use?
I run a small engine repair and lawn service business and I've been using Quickbooks for a number of years but now they aren't going to stop supporting my current version after May 31, 2022, and the options they are offering are getting more expensive. So I was wondering what others are using for their small business. I am a one man shop so I don't need anything that has payroll in it but would need invoicing, receipts, inventory, sales tax, profit/loss, be able to import bank data, etc but still easy to use. Good customer support would be a plus.

Thanks!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I run Adminsoft with Automanager Module enabled. But I don't think it imports bank data. It does about everything else. The payroll module isn't for the US anyway. Now the price file import can be a pain at times but it is the software but the vendors supplying odd files that need to be modified for proper importing.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The burning question is how much do you want the softwear to do ?
My customer files are in a Filemaker data base which also prints out invoices
The accounting side is done with Best Books , the early verson of MYOB.
SO all I do with it is add the customers accounts as a sales item with 2 lines , parts & labour .
Inventory is only done , again in File Maker for belts & blades only as I work alone so I don't need to know how many Zama pump diaphragms I have in stock at any point in time.
For tax purposes I reduce the "parts in stock" item by 75% of the amount I billed as parts & increase it by what ever I have bought in that year .

It is a little fiddley but takes no more time than using one single programe that does everything and of course reduces the chances of a hacker holding me to ransom .
It never needs to be upgraded and I bought Best Books in 1991 when I bought my first computer.
Down side is it won't run on the Intel or Apple chipped macs but I do my accounting on the 1998 G5 which will probably run forever .
Because I use filemaker for repairs, I can attach photos to any individual repair so I can reffer to it latter rather than hoping I can find the images on my phone .

It is very easy to get caught up in technology that is supposed to make your life easier but n reality just makes you 100% dependent upon the softwear supplier and has you spending your hard earned money in the continuing spiral of upgrades till like you have found they discontinue .
In many cases it is cheaper to buy a couple of old laptops that have bought softwear on them so it never needs to be authenticated or upgraded .
If I had gone on the upgrade with MYOB from Best Books, through First Accounts & Now into MYOB Proper I would have spent over $ 6,000 on softwear and another $ 10,000 to $ 20,000 on computers .
I am not a luddite but I don't work to make billionairs even richer .
You are obviously not using all that Quick Books offers so ask yourself do I need the upgrade ?
As for customer support, you should never need it and usually you will get better & faster results from You Tube.
All accounting packages are nothing more than a spread sheets or data bases with some fancy input screens so you put the numbers in the right places .

FWIW.
I do not do internet banking , it is the most risky thing you can do with your money
The accounting computer ( G3 Mac ) is turned on 24/7 & is not connected to anything other than it's own printer & Maxtor back up disc
When I get the mail. it sits on the keyboard till I am ready to deal with it & nothing is opened till I am at the computer , with a coffee .
Then the envelopes are opened & data entered .
Occasionally I go to the main computer & download a bank statement which can be anything from a day to a month, print out the statement then update the accounting computer
It is easy to get sucked into the instant update vortex but it really does not matter if you know an account was paid yesterday, the day before or a week before that.
All you need to know is at the EOM the account was paid and if not to sent out a reminder to your customer .
I find phoning works best because you can start with " doing the monthly banking & it appears that your account has not been paid ,,,,,,"

Even better is as I have been using the same softwear for 30 years I don't need any sort of customer support .
The other trick is I make copies of my accounts & contacts ( customers & suppliers ) with no data in them so I can run each financial year as a stand alone file
Thus I can keep 2020 open till the tax man is up my rectum for the return to be lodged
It also makes it very difficult for the tax auditors as they can not understand what I am doing so most give up.

On top of that everything is paid into the cheque account and a cheque is drawn for every payment ( even if they are to me because the vendor will not accept cheques )

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Considering what Adminsoft can do it is well worth it to at least check it out. The cost to use is about as cheap as you can get. The unregistered version is free even though I am running a registered version as I just felt better helping the programmer out.

Adminsoft Accounting software

I believe anyone that tries this program for our type business will pleased with the auto manager end as you can go back multiple years and see what was done at your finger tips without having digging through paper files. Besides keeping track of all the work orders and parts used can get rather involved when you run an one person repair shop. Keeping track of all the open purchase orders is helpful too.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Back in the introduction to computers days there was a saying amongst system administrators
"If your paper system does not work all a computer will do is get you into trouble a lot faster and cost a lot more to fix "
I must admit I do see benefits to your system from the bits & pieces you have posted .
I had thought about putting my full inventory into the computer but it was a massive job for very little benefit and of course there will always be problems when for instance you only use part of a rebuild kit on one job the the balance on another.
Then there are things like electrical terminals and main jet O rings , I wreck one then it has to be accounted for as shop use or shop scrap .
I can remember a customer fuming with an invoice from another workshop where everything was itemised, every nut bolt & split pin including "shop fuel ", bench rags & cleaning solutions .
As he said, the only thing they did not charge for was the dunny paper the mechanic used .

Being shareware it is a lot better than commercial package where every time you open the application it has to get permission from the makers to run and if you have no internet connection it will only open a couple of times then freeze till it can verify you are allowed to use it .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert, The way I have inventory setup is a bin system so when I look up a part that is in stock the computer lets me which to look in. I admit I had to get the program to understand that when imported price files that had supersedes that those bin location along with other info notes had to transfer to the new part numbers. Since that option was added thing have working fine. Of I had to my annual physical inventory to gets back on track but they should done at least once a year to check for accurate counts and damaged items.

And yes it is a lot initial work to convert over but I haven't regretted it as it just things a lot easier.

Many of my smaller parts are 18 gal totes with smaller 1 gal containers so they have a main bin location along a sub bin locations. Just makes finding part much easier. Here is example of a stock check. The same system of binning can be done on index cards just takes longer to flip thru the cards when checking inventory stock, plus I need to go to office every time I need to find a part status. Beside I have the follow number items to keep track of

1647092302314.png

Example my bin system

1647091576855.png
Now there a new items listed that have yet got binned as they just came in which I should be able to do today since I got 4 inches of snow on the ground here.

And the software in shareware mode does needs to check once each time you open the software but it more to so the programmer gets some ad money. As long to program is working it don't check again until it is reloaded. I use the paid version as I said mainly so the programmer got paid and a plus benefit is I get direct support for problems that he creates in new versions. Updating is not mandatory but it helps the programmer as he don't have dig out the older versions if I do have a problem.

I just leave the program running 24/7 as I up at all times at night. I also have one system in the home office and one in the shop usually. Currently the shop one is down due a power supply failure. Both are networked together so I have internet access in both locations. I did wi-fi for a while until the router blew now they are hardwired via a 200 ft cable.

oneoldsap

Threads
I run a small engine repair and lawn service business and I've been using Quickbooks for a number of years but now they aren't going to stop supporting my current version after May 31, 2022, and the options they are offering are getting more expensive. So I was wondering what others are using for their small business. I am a one man shop so I don't need anything that has payroll in it but would need invoicing, receipts, inventory, sales tax, profit/loss, be able to import bank data, etc but still easy to use. Good customer support would be a plus.

Thanks!
If they aren't going to stop supporting it , you should be good to go !

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What if the op like to run the shop part of the AutoManager software that I suggesting for him to check out. It also has regular accounting functions.

Example screen shot.
1647122432022.png
or possibly the parts counter sales area.
1647122591019.png

lyldfred

Forum Newbie
Threads
If they aren't going to stop supporting it , you should be good to go !
Hi oneoldsap! I noticed in my original post that I said they "aren't: going to stop supporting my current version which is wrong. It should have been "are" going to stop. So some of the functions of the program will not work once they do that. And they are going to an annual fee of approximately $1000 a year to support/update the new version.

lyldfred

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your input gentlemen! I will check out these and a few other programs the next couple of months.