Were yours UP or Down... Property Taxes in todays mail...

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Were yours UP or Down... Property Taxes in todays mail...
Well I am off to PAY for new tags...
Just noticed that tag renewal is also UP this year...
Got the letter a few wks ago but didn't notice the amount... I think I am going to sell a couple cars that I don't really need to tag... KennyV
You mat be aware of this, but it is not necessarily a choice of tag or sell. In my state you don't have to register a vehicle if you sign an affidavit that you are not going to use it on public roads. I mention this as now is not a good time to try and sell anything.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
In my state you don't have to register a vehicle if you sign an affidavit that you are not going to use it on public roads.

But you still get to enjoy the annual property tax... In this state the property tax is the largest part of the tag registration...
Several years ago I did that with a dump truck that I use on the place, never on the roads... The property tax has more than tripled even though the truck has aged... ???
The dump truck is going... KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
But you still get to enjoy the annual property tax... In this state the property tax is the largest part of the tag registration...
Several years ago I did that with a dump truck that I use on the place, never on the roads... The property tax has more than tripled even though the truck has aged... ???

Kenny...part of the taxes I pay to support local township government pay for the local code enforcement officer, who recently gave me a warning about the twenty year old pickup truck I use to haul debris around our property...it never gets road use, is uninsured, but because of the stupid laws here I cannot keep it outdoors BECAUSE IT DOES NOT HAVE A REGISTRATION TAB.!!! Only licensed salvage yard owners and/or auto dealers are permitted to have an unregistered vehicle on their property outdoors. Anyone else has to store them indoors. The law is supposed to keep people from collecting junk cars on their property, but it's stupid you cannot keep one running, reasonably decent looking farm truck outdoors. Any comments?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not at all familiar with property tax, the concept makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up and my blood pressure rise. In Florida, you pay sales tax when you purchase the vehicle (7.5% currently).
Is property tax in addition to sales tax:mad:?

By the by...I just had to pay 50$ to renew my drivers license.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kenny...part of the taxes I pay to support local township government pay for the local code enforcement officer, who recently gave me a warning about the twenty year old pickup truck I use to haul debris around our property...it never gets road use, is uninsured, but because of the stupid laws here I cannot keep it outdoors BECAUSE IT DOES NOT HAVE A REGISTRATION TAB.!!! Only licensed salvage yard owners and/or auto dealers are permitted to have an unregistered vehicle on their property outdoors. Anyone else has to store them indoors. The law is supposed to keep people from collecting junk cars on their property, but it's stupid you cannot keep one running, reasonably decent looking farm truck outdoors. Any comments?
Here that would happen in the city or a suburban situation with a Home owners Association or Civic Association. None of the more rural areas or county laws support such legislation. Having said that, junk cars are not a common occurance here, don't recall seeing any.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here that would happen in the city or a suburban situation with a Home owners Association or Civic Association. None of the more rural areas or county laws support such legislation. Having said that, junk cars are not a common occurance here, don't recall seeing any.

The big farm a mile north of me has a half dozen scrapped cars, trucks, etc scattered around the property, including dozens of piles of junk farm machines. The code compliance officer could warn the owners there about two dozen things, but because the farm owners get taxed so much more than me he doesn't have the guts to make waves about their junk. What an a---hole.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I cannot keep it outdoors BECAUSE IT DOES NOT HAVE A REGISTRATION TAB.!!!
Any comments?

Wow ... where were the people when that got added???

If they want me to keep all my stuff inside, they are going to have to exempt a building from taxes ... then I would consider having one built to place the truck in.... KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm not at all familiar with property tax, the concept makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up and my blood pressure rise. In Florida, you pay sales tax when you purchase the vehicle (7.5% currently).
Is property tax in addition to sales tax:mad:?

By the by...I just had to pay 50$ to renew my drivers license.

We get to pay sales tax AND then every year all motor vehicles are assessed an additional annual property tax... AND if you owe ANY back property tax on ANYTHING they will refuse to issue a license tag for your car or truck, until you have ALL your property tax up to date...
What a system... got to love it... KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow ... where were the people when that got added???

If they want me to keep all my stuff inside, they are going to have to exempt a building from taxes ... then I would consider having one built to place the truck in.... KennyV

One of my good friends is a township trustee, she voted against the new regulation, here in Michigan local township boards of trustees can usually enact and and all regulations they want, citing: "the good of the community in general". If your house is run down, they can force you to fix it up or just write violation notices and take you to court.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
What a system... got to love it... KennyV

I've got to disagree KennyV, I don't "gotta love it" I've gotta change it. Just because I can afford it doesn't mean I should turn my head to it. The tail is wagging the dog as far as I'm concerned.
Where does it end?