Export thread

well someone just did it again why do people stick there hand in the dam shoot

briggs

briggs

we just had a fellow down the street lose his fingers ..His shoot got clogged and he stuck is hand in there to clear while it was RUNNING >>>>>>>DO NOT DO THAT SHUT THE DAM THING OFF ...Evry dam year someone dose it just because it has the dead man brake don't mean it will stop the auger or impeller from turning ...When will people ever learn :mur:

Carscw

Carscw

I would like to say poor guy but I can not.
It's like walking in the rain then saying I did not know I would get wet.

davbell22602

davbell22602

He should have bought a unclogging stick that comes with some of the newer snowblowers now.

I had co worker years ago almost lost his arm in hay baler. He stopped the baler but left tractor running. Stuck his arm inside the baler to unclog it. He said that one stray piece of hay tripped baler to come on while his arm was in there. He now has steel plates and screws in his arm in between his wrist and elbow.

Parkmower

Parkmower

He should have bought a unclogging stick that comes with some of the newer snowblowers now.

I had co worker years ago almost lost his arm in hay baler. He stopped the baler but left tractor running. Stuck his arm inside the baler to unclog it. He said that one stray piece of hay tripped baler to come on while his arm was in there. He now has steel plates and screws in his arm in between his wrist and elbow.

Why buy one? We cut old broom sticks to desired length.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Why buy one? We cut old broom sticks to desired length.

Yea that too. Whatever works for unclogging a snowblower.

exotion

exotion

Yea that too. Whatever works for unclogging a snowblower.

A stick works I just shake the snow blower usually unclogs it. If that doesn't work I shut the machine off and pull the clog out lol people are stupid

P

possum

It is stupid. But it is easy to make a mistake like that. A fellow gets tired, get distracted by the neighbor lady. He is talking on his cell phone. The news is on his earphones. He is a little or a lot drunk. He does not understand snowblowers and has never read any directions in his life as he has always lived by his overconfidence. It happens. My neighbor almost lost a couple fingers in his lawnmower this year. It was off. But clogged with a bunch of clippings in the discharge part of the deck.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hmmm....
$5 chute unclogger? Or lose my arm? I wish everyone would think through this! :mur:

414dec-t9zL._SY300_.jpg
VS.
rewiring-the-human-arm_1.jpg

Mike88se

Mike88se

That's sad. Sometimes you have to do dangerous things... not in this case though. Still a shame that it happened.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I guess #### happens. I try my best to practice safety in my two shops wood and mechanical. It just seems I will still cut myself or lose some skin when I lease expect it. I have been to the ER to be stitched up a few times. I still have all my fingers and limbs so thinking about safety must pay off.

exotion

exotion

I guess #### happens. I try my best to practice safety in my two shops wood and mechanical. It just seems I will still cut myself or lose some skin when I lease expect it. I have been to the ER to be stitched up a few times. I still have all my fingers and limbs so thinking about safety must pay off.

Never self stitch? I have twice which is why I keep a properly stocked first aid kit with a few stitch kits :) amazing how a 10 dollar kit costs 200 dollars at the ER

reynoldston

reynoldston

Never self stitch? I have twice which is why I keep a properly stocked first aid kit with a few stitch kits :) amazing how a 10 dollar kit costs 200 dollars at the ER

No thank you. I will save that job for the doctor or my grand daughter in law. Now that is a skill I really don't want to learn.

Carscw

Carscw

Liquid Band-Aid is a must in the tool box

exotion

exotion

My first aid box has 3 stitch kits hydrogen peroxide gauze about 200 different bandaids 4 ace bandages a sling bee sting relief a&d ointment neosporin rubbing alcahol superglue aspirin ibprofin tylenol hydro and 2 epi pens

I didn't take all my training for nothing lol

davbell22602

davbell22602

I learned how to do stitches from watching "Night of the Scarecrow". The scarecrow taught me how to do it with hay/straw on someones lips. LOL!

briggs

briggs

yup that and crazy glue lol:thumbsup:

briggs

briggs

i do agree with the $5 stick .....his brake on the auger was worn and would not stop it from turning so his son said ..Its to bad ..But u always have to think safety..My students that work for me at the shop get a demo on that at the shop i take some frozen hamburger and throw it in there and i tell them see what it did to that imagine what it will do to you if you stick your hands in there .....

D

DaveTN

Folks...don't put your hand into ANY MOVING MACHINERY period! I grew up on a farm and was taught not to take chances with mowing machines, bailers, rotary mowers or anything else including small engines. Think of a moving machine the same way you would a giant sawmill blade whirring and spinning. It's just not worth the small savings in time to risk life and limb. The sad part guys, is that another dummy will come along and do the same thing! At first I thought you guys were talking about a brush chipper. :confused2:

wjjones

wjjones

Yep, and the bad part is now we will have to put up with them adding more safety crap on the machines that will make them cost more. I think half the time they are not stupid they are just impatient, and cant take that extra few minutes to turn the machine off to clear it. I bet it will hard to run one with one hand though.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Yep, and the bad part is now we will have to put up with them adding more safety crap on the machines that will make them cost more. I think half the time they are not stupid they are just impatient, and cant take that extra few minutes to turn the machine off to clear it. I bet it will hard to run one with one hand though.

I can actually see them putting sensors on inside of frame on a snowblower where auger is. The sensors would automatically kill the engine if the sensor line was to become blocked in anyway. Kinda like the sensors on garage door opener.

briggs

briggs

yes u are right another dummy will do it Dave and as for the safety's go yes they will add more because people cant use there head for 2 seconds and shut the dam thing off ..I have seen some hasty **** happen over the years to people working on heavy EQ and most of it was caused because the did not shut the machine off ..then u have the guys that run the EQ in closed spaces and gas themselves its nuts ..Some people have no common sense when it comes to safety or there EQ

P

possum

Do not worry about them worry about you. I have though I was being safe many times and had an accident or a near accident.

briggs

briggs

Do not worry about them worry about you. I have though I was being safe many times and had an accident or a near accident.

yes true there also i hit a 2x4 that i forgot about and it made a good mess of the blower and the side of my truck

LawnBoy97

LawnBoy97

yes true there also i hit a 2x4 that i forgot about and it made a good mess of the blower and the side of my truck

Wow, sorry about that, but I sure would have liked to see that.

briggs

briggs

Wow, sorry about that, but I sure would have liked to see that.

it didn't brake the shear pin lol but dented my door good no biggie it was my work truck now if it was the GFs car i would have got **** lol

M

motoman

As long as we're engineering safety in at any cost? How 'bout the table saw brake that senses a hot dog as a demo (or your hand) and stops the 10" blade in a few nano seconds, leaving only a slight scratch? Of course prohibitively expensive when mfgrs won't even put on gauges which cost $25. The farm equipment subject, I believe, is a deep one, and puts farming right up on the most dangerous list of occupations along with logging. You professionals must be especially careful due to fatique and over familiarity with the equipment. Be safe and well!!

wjjones

wjjones

Hmmm....
$5 chute unclogger? Or lose my arm? I wish everyone would think through this! :mur:

414dec-t9zL._SY300_.jpg
VS.
rewiring-the-human-arm_1.jpg

I need one of those I just bought a chipper, and I am not losing my hand.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I need one of those I just bought a chipper, and I am not losing my hand.

Yeah the one on my snowblower came in handy yesterday. :thumbsup:

S

Stevie-Ray

All our machinery at Ford's had dowels hanging near the safety gates, called chopsticks. They were for exactly that, to clear stopped machinery, just in case the safety gate failed. Far better to chop a wooden dowel than your hand/arm. My snowblower is old enough to not have one of those small plastic shovels to clear the chute. I use a cut-off broom handle.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I had to unclog my blower because of a plastic bag. I was going to just do it, but I told myself to turn it off and be safe. I'm glad I did!

exotion

exotion

Ya there is no point to even risk it... Just shut it off :) takes one sec to start it back up

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

The other day when we got 16" of snow I got 3 newspapers stuck in the augers. :mur: The snow fell on top of them before people could pick them up. That was a mess! No shear pins broke! :thumbsup:

exotion

exotion

The other day when we got 16" of snow I got 3 newspapers stuck in the augers. :mur: The snow fell on top of them before people could pick them up. That was a mess! No shear pins broke! :thumbsup:

Why didn't you pick them up? You shredded them

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Why didn't you pick them up? You shredded them

I didn't see them until I hit them, and they got jammed in the augers. I didn't throw them across the yard with the blower.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I didn't see them until I hit them, and they got jammed in the augers. I didn't throw them across the yard with the blower.

That would of been nice to see!

It happened to 2 of my neighbors almost at the same time. The weekly flyer got stuck in there auger, because the person delivering them just put them on the entrance and then it snowed.

Carscw

Carscw

Newspapers piss me off. I pick up 20 a day. Can the guy not see no one lives in the house? Some houses will have 5 or 6 in the driveway. Someday I will catch this dumb azz

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Newspapers piss me off. I pick up 20 a day. Can the guy not see no one lives in the house? Some houses will have 5 or 6 in the driveway. Someday I will catch this dumb azz

I wouldn't want to be that guy being caught...

Yea well our news paper delivery guy smashed in my truck at 5 in the morning. It woke me up! He just left. Luckilly, I had no damage, but I sure wish I had a tow hitch. That would of messed up the rad and bumper on his little Kia.