Welcome to the Stihl Forum -- Check in Here First!

Mr Richards

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Welcome to the Stihl Forum -- Check in Here First!
GREETINGS to all Stihl equipment owners!

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your Stihl power tools (that is, if your mower has a name). Maybe attach a photo or two of your equipment.

Also, if you haven't done so already, you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Stihl owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it.

We want to make this the best resource for Stihl owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Stihl stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

Greetings Stihl Forum Members,
Mr Richards here joining from Wales in the UK. I recently inherited an FS80 Brushcutter, purchased around 1986, with the original manual and price list, tool kit etc. I am wondering whether I can still get spares for this model? When I check on ebay UK, I can find many spares relating to an FS80 (mostly from China), but the images of, for example, a replacement carburetor do not look like mine. I am wondering whether there was a later version of the FS80....I try to include a couple of photo's of my model.

Bottom line is the tool looks a bit scruffy, but it has sentimental value, and I would like to bring it back to some kind of functionality, if not cosmetic excellence. The engine has some problems running. The plug looks clean, and I get a fat spark when I take out the plug and pull the starter. (I think the electrics are ok.) I can prime the carb, though the priming bulb is a bit brittle (definitely ready for replacement). Once running form cold, if I open the choke, the engine dies. If I leave the choke closed, it idles pretty well. It will idle for ever, almost, certainly 3 or 4 mins. If I rev the engine, I need to knock of the choke, and it seems happy, but then will only idle if I add choke. I have considered changing the low speed fuel screw, but never adjusted a carb before, so a bit nervous....but it feels like fuel starvation. My thought would be to replace as much of the fuel delivery system as is available, certainly fuel lines, filter, and pump diaphragm. I couldn't see a name on the carb, only scribed 'Japan'....no name. I would be glad to hear any news about trouble shooting this tool.
Thanks,
Mr Richard

IMG_0435.jpgIMG_0436.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Welcome to the Stihl Forum -- Check in Here First!
Sounds like it is in reasonable condition.
Before you start playing with the carb, remove the muffler and see if it responds to throttle.
Wht you describe is typical of a blocked muffler either with accumulated soot or some small critters calling it home.

Like all old gear, some things are available & some are not .
Still made the FS 80 for a very long time so there were changes made over the production run.
If the carb has Japan on it then it will be an original Zama C1Q-S28D and both it , the direct replacement Walbro are still available as are the rebuild kits.
The shaft & clutch have replacement available that will fit and the only part likely to give you grief is the magneto.

Mr Richards

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the feedback Bertsmobile1. I did a bit more digging, and it seems the Zama carburetor you described is for a later model. I have the TK-DP10W.....(I include the design drawings in case anyone else has this model.) I have now found a service kit on ebay, but before I buy it I will take off the muffler as you describe and see what is living in there. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• t25_Carb.pdf
    32.3 KB · Views: 4

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, there were 2 different FS80s, you have the early Japanese version form the late 70s to early 80s, very hard to find parts for. It shares a lot of parts with the old Shindaiwa T25, and the old Green Machines. Oregon makes/sells a carb kit for it, for the old TK carb.

HarmonySeeker

Threads
GREETINGS to all Stihl equipment owners!

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your Stihl power tools (that is, if your mower has a name). Maybe attach a photo or two of your equipment.

Also, if you haven't done so already, you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Stihl owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it.

We want to make this the best resource for Stihl owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Stihl stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.
Hi:
I have had 2 FS 36's and an antique-looking FS50 weedwhackers fall into my lap. Non-running, of course, or that might've really hurt!?
Anyways, one FS-36 starts and runs but eventually starves out for fuel within a 30-45 seconds. A couple pushes of the primer and it will restart.Sounds nice.
The other runs if you put a few drops of fuel right thru the sparkplug hole.
The FS-50 has a recoil starter which works now and then and I couldnt get a pop out of it no way.
My question centers around if repairing these are worthwhile, perhaps they are some sort of vintage collector items?
I have an electric weed whacker which works wonderfully every time, but I hate to throw out classics for others.

Thanks!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi:
I have had 2 FS 36's and an antique-looking FS50 weedwhackers fall into my lap. Non-running, of course, or that might've really hurt!?
Anyways, one FS-36 starts and runs but eventually starves out for fuel within a 30-45 seconds. A couple pushes of the primer and it will restart.Sounds nice.
The other runs if you put a few drops of fuel right thru the sparkplug hole.
The FS-50 has a recoil starter which works now and then and I couldnt get a pop out of it no way.
My question centers around if repairing these are worthwhile, perhaps they are some sort of vintage collector items?
I have an electric weed whacker which works wonderfully every time, but I hate to throw out classics for others.

Thanks!
The fs36s are actually IDC/Ryan/Ryobi models made for Stihl, but are decent trimmers if you get them running.
The primer is actually a "purge", it removes all of the air from the system. You still have to use the choke, which is controlled by rotating the black plastic cover over the air filter.
You will likely need to go through the fuel system and replace the fuel lines.

Here is a tech bulleting concerning the tank/lines.

Attachments

• fs36tank.pdf
    72.6 KB · Views: 4

HarmonySeeker

Threads
Yes, there seemed to be gas leaking out from the case on both, but strangely enough, both stopped leaking after a few pulls on the cord. That was odd.
Thanks for the pointers and tech bulletin! I'll give 'em a closer look. Although nice looking units, looks as though I'm not going to go too much deeper if this runs into any money.
Many Thanks for your prompt response!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
A carb kit and fuel line might be all it needs.