Welcome to the Stihl Forum -- Check in Here First!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cleaned and set them, no change. Seems to be oil coming out of the exhaust too. I have 50:1 gas mix in it, always have used that.
Sounds like the carb is a bit "floody". Take it off and have a look.
Those old saws had a rebuildable fuel filter, and the foam insert starts to break up after 30 years or so, and the remains of that foam filter collect in the carb, so you will likely find that crud in there.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would remove the muffler and check piston for scoring. If it is good move on to air fuel delivery. If it idles smoothly you can probably rule out crank seals. If it has original fuel lines replace them and fuel filter as they won't tolerate the 10% ethanol gas. Clean and rebuild the carb with new diaphragm and gaskets.

johngarethadams

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, my name is Rob and I own only 2 Stihl products. Both chainsaws, a ms170 and an older 031AV. The 170 replaced the 031 because the oldtimer only wants to idle and won’t rev up anymore. I’m just getting around to see if I can repair it myself and was looking for some tips to do that.
Hi My name is Gareth. I have a problem with a Stihl ms 231C the chain loosens almost every cut. I have changed the reverse tightener it worked for a couple of hours but now beck to old tricks. Any advice please!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi My name is Gareth. I have a problem with a Stihl ms 231C the chain loosens almost every cut. I have changed the reverse tightener it worked for a couple of hours but now beck to old tricks. Any advice please!
Probably from a badly worn sprocket, so put up a pic of yours.
If so, you would need a new chain as well.

53FordJeffie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. My name is Jeff, I have a Stihl Ms181 c chainsaw. I just bought a new bar and chain. It did not come with the circular chain tightener. Part number 11236645501A. Do I need to ask the dealer why? The bar has the right number, maybe the saw is not made any more.
Thanks for any help.
Jeff

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you talking about the quick adjust?
If so, they are more expensive
You must be from outside of the U.S.?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi. My name is Jeff, I have a Stihl Ms181 c chainsaw. I just bought a new bar and chain. It did not come with the circular chain tightener. Part number 11236645501A. Do I need to ask the dealer why? The bar has the right number, maybe the saw is not made any more.
Thanks for any help.
Jeff
BEcause it is not part of the bar it is part of the cover and sold as a separate unit and generally reused

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry, misread the post.

53FordJeffie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am from N.Y. Yes, the quick adjust. Mine was attached to the bar by two small bolts. I added two photos. Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Jeff
Resized_20200330_102456.jpegResized_20200330_102516.jpeg

Jakeman

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Welcome to the Stihl Forum -- Check in Here First!
New member here. I have a BG 58(?) blower and an HL45 trimmer. Hoping to get DIY repair tips.
Chuck from Jacksonville, Fl, repairing my Stihl blower, got a question