Weak Left Side

dbshelton

Threads
See if i am thinking right. Looks like the tension adjustment pulley is in between the engine and the left pump. Maybe crank more tension in or if there is enough adjustment available, use a slightly longer belt for more belt wrap on the left pump?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Give it a tighten
You would be amazed just how little wear on a belt or pulley can make the belt quite slack

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the wheel motors are smooth then you may have a pump problem. Does it make w whining sound from the left pump? It doesn't have to whine but they will if bad enough. Only true way to tell is to do a pressure and gpm flow test. If a Silver Eagle has a seal problem in the wheel motor it will leak out side around the axle seal. If it leaks there don't try to put a seal in it it will just blow it back out again. It is the seals inside that leak and push the axle seal out.

dbshelton

Threads
No whining sound from the pump. No leaks at all. No heat gain. It does sometimes make a little clicking sound when I change direction. I am pretty sure that is from the wheel motor. Removed the belt adjustment assembly to check everything. The arm was slightly tweaked so I straightened it. Idlers, pulleys look to have no wear. I will also pull the brake drum/hub to see if all is well there and put it all back with a new belt.

dbshelton

Threads
Installed new belts, new tension adjustment springs, and readjusted belts, lever linkage again. Still slow on the left side. I really don't feel that anything is slipping. Mowed heavily for 2 1/2 hours. It did get even a little weaker as I was finishing. Still smooth with no jerking. I am leaning towards the pump. I have a reseal kit for the pump so I may go that route.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seals won't help that problem The seal are to seal it from leaking outside the pump. If it is weak it has wear inside and is leaking past the cylinder block that holds the pistons and the end cap. inside the pump it's self. Seals will not help this you would have to replace the cylinder block and end cap.

dbshelton

Threads
So there are no seals on the pistons or anywhere else inside the pump?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
The wheel motor on the Silver Eagle does not have pistons in it like the ZT units do. It is a radial axle wheel motor. It has cylinders inside a rotor that drives the motor. The mating surfaces inside a pump must be smooth and without groves in then that would let hydraulic oil escape between the two surfaces instead of being forced into the wheel motor through hoses like the Silver Eagle or channels like the ZT units. If a pump is scrawling it is the oil escaping between the two mating surfaces of the cylinder block and the end cap.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
So there are no seals on the pistons or anywhere else inside the pump?
No no seals inside the pump. You have two seals in this type pump one on the input shaft and one on the trunnion shaft. This the shaft the control arm goes on. There are some o'rings on the check valves and the relief valve.
The one you open so you can push it.