Weak Left Side

dbshelton

Threads
I have a 2016 DC Silver Eagle and the left side is weak compared to the right side. I have adjusted everything as best I can but can't tell if it is the Wheel Motor or the Pump. Has anyone ever tried swapping the wheel motors for testing?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Let side is always weaker because of the belt run it is on the"push" side of the engine pulley .
Add to that the left hydro always seems to get dirtier than the right
So the pulley slips more thus the pump is turning slower & the oil is running hotter thus the left side seem weaker.

dbshelton

Threads
All that seems to make sense but there is a significant difference between right and left. BTW, reverse seems very close to the same on both sides.

dbshelton

Threads
Is there a tag or number on the wheel motor so I can see if I can get a seal kit ? I have a seal kit for the pump.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is your belt tight this can cause this problem. Tighten the nut on the spring bolt to were the spring is compressed to 3 inches. Also the idler arm should run parallel to the frame. If the belt has been loose and slipping it could wear the belt down and bottom out in the pulley then a tight belt won't pull. You might replace the belt and adjust according to what I stated. You can slide the engine to get the proper adjustments. Then you would need to readjust the engine to deck belt. Compress spring to 3 inches like the drive belt. Does the wheel motor feel kinda jerky when you push hard on the steering lever kinda like a quiver.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is there a tag or number on the wheel motor so I can see if I can get a seal kit ? I have a seal kit for the pump.
There should be. Use to give a break down of the wheel motor but since they switch to parker the don't seem to have anymore.

dbshelton

Threads
Is your belt tight this can cause this problem. Tighten the nut on the spring bolt to were the spring is compressed to 3 inches. Also the idler arm should run parallel to the frame. If the belt has been loose and slipping it could wear the belt down and bottom out in the pulley then a tight belt won't pull. You might replace the belt and adjust according to what I stated. You can slide the engine to get the proper adjustments. Then you would need to readjust the engine to deck belt. Compress spring to 3 inches like the drive belt. Does the wheel motor feel kinda jerky when you push hard on the steering lever kinda like a quiver.
It operates smooth, just doesn't have the same power/speed the right side has. I have adjusted everything but I do have a new belt. i will try that next.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You got the answer back in reply # 2
It is a function of trying to drive 2 pulleys that have variable loads from a single belt which is a disgusting thing to do from an engineering point of view
The engine spins clockwise when viewed from above thus the RIGHT side gets a direct pull from the engine then the belt goes to the Left side
Because both the left & right pulleys are applying a load to the belt they cause the tension in the belt between them to reduce
Thus the grip on the left pulley is less than the grip on the right pulley so the left slips, particularly when a heavy load is applied quickly,
Dixies set up looks nice and symetrical to the engineering ignorant but to a person who understands belt drives it is trash.
I have not worked on a DC drives yet so I am not familiar with the belt tensioning .
If both left & right idlers are adjustable then tighten the left one to increase the grip on the left pulley.

Manufacturers who do have engineers working for them overcome this by routing the belt so the left pulley has a much larger contact radius than the right .
They also put a spring loaded tensioner in the left side of the belt run to take up slack in the belt that happens from pulley & belt wear plus belt loading while running.

IF you search the entire forum foe "weak Left Drive" you will find it is about the most common ZTR problem.

dbshelton

Threads
Hard for me to believe but it does make sense. I will have to look at it hard and see what I can do with it.
Thanks for the info guys.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have a rolling strain gauge and measure the belt tension between each section of the belt run with the engine running and both hydros under load you would see it is highest between the engine & the right , then a bit lower between the the right & left then a lot lower between the left & the engine.
This is why the fan belt on your car will occasionally squeal when you start the engine and the alternator is applying a heavy load to the belt .