Warm winter means dust 'em off early this year boys!

possum

Threads
Now that is one snazzy looking unit. Makes a feller wonder why folks are buying that new Toro for about the same price. I suppose John Deere will be stocking those soon. I would never own one myself as it would attract all sorts of bricks and other underground items that would spring up as I approached them. Not to mention thieves. I better stick with what I have good luck with. Now when springtime rolls around and all the oil questions begin please do make sure you post a new picture of this fine machine and tell all who wish to know what kind, how much, and how often. I am looking forward to it.

mikeypizano

Threads
Now that is one snazzy looking unit. Makes a feller wonder why folks are buying that new Toro for about the same price. I suppose John Deere will be stocking those soon. I would never own one myself as it would attract all sorts of bricks and other underground items that would spring up as I approached them. Not to mention thieves. I better stick with what I have good luck with. Now when springtime rolls around and all the oil questions begin please do make sure you post a new picture of this fine machine and tell all who wish to know what kind, how much, and how often. I am looking forward to it.

I know how that goes. I will be double and triple checking before I mow! :laughing:

spta97

Threads
  • / Warm winter means dust 'em off early this year boys!
With a very mild winter across all of North America, we're going to be dusting off the lawn equipment a lot earlier than normal this year. I like to get at the maintenance side of everything now so I start fresh with filters, fluids, sharp blades, and fresh fuel.

The modern gasoline formulas are the source of headaches in small engine owners all over. These new fuel additives flash off faster than the gasoline and cause carburetors to gunk up and fail faster than anything ever before.

Remember to always shut off the fuel on small engines at the end of season or use (generators) so that they run out of fuel and then put the choke on full and pull it a few times to get as much fuel out of the bowl as you can to ensure it will start on one pull the next time.

I'm making sparks on the grinder sharpening blades and getting all the little things tightened up now before the explosion of spring growth takes over all my free time.

I was not aware of this previously and had the carb on my snowblower fail and spill gas all over my shed floor. Now, in addition to running the fuel empty, I remove the bowl screw holding the carberator bowl in and take out any remaining gas.

Since i have been doing that all my small equipment starts on the first pull - even after 2 or 3 years of storage.

mikeypizano

Threads
spta97 said:
I was not aware of this previously and had the carb on my snowblower fail and spill gas all over my shed floor. Now, in addition to running the fuel empty, I remove the bowl screw holding the carberator bowl in and take out any remaining gas.

Since i have been doing that all my small equipment starts on the first pull - even after 2 or 3 years of storage.

My Honda has a screw you can remove to drain the bowl.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using LMF

spta97

Threads
My Honda has a screw you can remove to drain the bowl.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using LMF

The old carb on my snowblower had that but the replacement did not. I found that the screw drain drain was not at the lowest point though.

Taking out the carb bowl is pretty easy, just have to make sure you get the o-ring lined up right and don't tighten it down too tight.

Oddball

Threads
I need to do the oil and filter changes to my mowers soon. Also need to grease all the joints on the rider. I haven't used the push mower since last September or October, but my JD rider gets year round use. I use it several times during the winter to vacuum the leaves out of the yard. Our winter here in GA has to have been at least 10 degrees warmer than normal. The blower gets use all year also, but the trimmer and edger haven't been run since September or October either.

snapsstorer

Threads
:licking:getting my snaper ZT4400 and snaper 2000 gx(GT180) ready right nowsnow justabout gone and the temp are supposed to be high 50's-low 60's this coming week
once they are ready start doing my summer projects on an ALLIS B-110 and ALLIS B-112. Getting a camera soon so i can post some picturres of Before/After of each
:thumbsup::laughing:

hanyoukimura

Threads
It's been very warm lately, mid 70's this week! That means its time to get the fleet ready. So primed them and pulled the cord and both the Brute and the Poulan Pro fired right up. These two of course are pampered, being stored in the warm basement all winter. Both are ready for duty, and if things go well soon I'll have a Lawn Boy and a 2-cycle Toro to add to the working fleet. There's also the Simplicity which does run but I need to do carb work to it.