Warm winter means dust 'em off early this year boys!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In Wisconsin it has been record warm for the last two weeks. Ten day ago our shop was in famine mode. Today, three techs nine hours each. Af,ter this bad winter for us, it sure is welcome, but I wish people would remember it still is March, we still could get snow. I guess I should grin and bear it.

Willyvon

Threads
I went battery electric 8 years ago with a Neuton EM 4.1 14" 24 volt single blade (current 14" model is CE 5) for my 120' x 60' lot. They make a 19" 36 volt version (CE 6) for the last 4-5 years. Neuton Battery Lawn Mowers - Neuton Battery Powered Lawn Mowers and Garden Carts - Mowers and Cart
In the last couple of years the number of makers and models of battery electrics has exploded. One outfit, Rechargemowers, even makes a 17" single blade lithium ion battery powered unit that's 35 lbs total weight. Recharge Mower - Recharege Ultralite Push Mower
Were I buying today that'd be my choice. Best I can tell they are the only ones using Li-Ion batteries. I feel sad for the neighbors who have those over-sized high maintenance gas machines. All I've ever had to do is clean the surfaces, tighten the Handle knurled nuts occasionally, and keep the blade sharp and balanced ( latter with my little cone on cone $5 balancer). Every few years (3-5) I've had to buy a replacement pair of sealed lead acid batteries at $30-40 each for one of the 3 battery packs I have , they've gone up a few dollars since I bought a pair ~ 1 1/2 months ago,
GS Battery TPH12100 UPS Battery Free Shipping | Apex Battery
and spend a whole 10 minutes installing them. I mulch the fall leaves into the lawn where they fall with it and that requires multiple passes and sometimes more than 1 battery pack charge to do. I have a couple extra blades so I can have one or more ready when it appears it's needed and re-sharpen (hone to razor's edge) a couple whenever the urge strikes. I am working on a new blade design which this mower offers a perfect test platform for with it's "security key" (removable breaker plug on a tether). I acquired a spare to be fitted with a series wire loop to measure current(tracks loading ) with a clamp-on ammeter I can velcro to the top of the mower. Gotta get the blanks to the machine shop for fabrication real soon as the grass will be perfect for the comparison testing soon. The change in design should carryover to all rotary mower blades.

Last edited:

Willyvon

Threads
One more "greening" effort: go solar sourced charging of battery electric mower. I've passed the idea through the tech folks at Neuton Mowers.
Harbor Freight has a coupon special for this 45 watt solar panel kit for $149. http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/90000-90999/90599.pdf
It's designed to charge a 12v battery so you spend maybe $40 on a sealed lead acid one to buffer the system and add this 12DC to 110 AC inverter which you plug the Neuton charger into.
DCACPOWERINVERTERS.COM - 12V 100 Watt Slim Power Inverter
I'd mount the panels on the south facing garage roof and the hardware on a shelf on that wall inside the garage. No sun for the solar panels = no growth of the grass demanding mowing...more or less.
it would = zero carbon(other than what went into the hardware manufacturing) generating lawn mowing! Too "green" for most of you?

Parkmower

Threads
Got my home's cub ZT out today and changed oil and filter. Fresh gas. Rode it around for a bit. No need to mow yet but probably in another week or so.

Can't wait to get the work machines out! But my wife just had a baby so I was off all week and prob part of next.
I miss the husq ZT but know it's too early to use.
It'll be the 4wd Jacobsen til it dries up good. No problem cause I love this mower too. Probably the best all around machine I've used.

LHPopper

Threads
Here in Central PA, the weather has been great this spring. I put down my weed and feed on 2.5 acres on 3/23/12 and mowed the front yard on the 24th for the first time this year. I could have waited another week to mow but could not wait to get out the Hustler SD Fastrack 54".