Vanguard carb backorder saga continues.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
@mechanic mark So Mark can't do a repair kit because the non removable brass emulsion tube is broken in my carb.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

dennis morris

Threads
Most of my business is from folks with older stuff and don't want to pay $100 an hour and 50% parts markup. The 2 JD dealers and the 2 other dealers around me are not hurting for business. They are all 4 to 6 weeks behind every spring. There are lots of folks willing to pay that and wait for a month. I don't blame the dealers as they have high overhead. I on the other hand have almost no overhead so at $40 an hour i actually clear more profit per hour than a big dealer. I will probably raise my rate sometime this year. I have all the business i need and my little 24x24 building is not big enough anymore but the cost to build back bigger is too prohibitive.
sound just like me have plenty of used parts that customers can use at a very reasonable price and i still make a nice profit and they always tip me and thank me for being there.

STEVES

Threads
Brand: spartshome

spartshome Carburetor Replacemen Amazon / Brand: spartshome

spartshome Carburetor Replacement for 84004885 799060 Fit for Briggs Stratton Va FREE delivery Thursday, January 13. Order within 9 hrs 36 mins

CaptFerd

Threads
Your doing more harm than good the longer you keep this machine. Either give it back NO CHARGE or fix it with an aftermarket carb. Its not worth the aggravation and its not worth soiling your reputation over. Blaming everyone and everything else over the problems your having with it makes me question your abilities. Threatening the guy with a new engine sounds like your punishing the customer for your failures. Who gets the old engine I wonder?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your doing more harm than good the longer you keep this machine. Either give it back NO CHARGE or fix it with an aftermarket carb. Its not worth the aggravation and its not worth soiling your reputation over. Blaming everyone and everything else over the problems your having with it makes me question your abilities. Threatening the guy with a new engine sounds like your punishing the customer for your failures. Who gets the old engine I wonder?
Your right it is my fault that Briggs filed for Bankruptcy, It is my fault that Briggs is averaging 6-14 months for backordered parts. it is my fault that I haven't installed the 1 aftermarket carb made for this engine that has a 50-50 chance that I will have to repair either before installing it or shortly thereafter and sells for the same price as the OEM carb. And I am not threatening the customer with a new engine. But if parts for this engine are is such short supply or maybe not even available as an OEM or aftermarket what do you do.. Since the customer disassembled the engine prior to bringing it to me and lost all air filter bolts and nuts, the air intake nuts, and bolts, the starter bolts etc, and some of those took 4 months to get because of backordered. So I guess it is also my fault that the customer dumped the bolt bucket off the back of his trailer while trying to deliver the vacuum to me.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Brand: spartshome

spartshome Carburetor Replacemen Amazon / Brand: spartshome

spartshome Carburetor Replacement for 84004885 799060 Fit for Briggs Stratton Va FREE delivery Thursday, January 13. Order within 9 hrs 36 mins
Ordered it. At this point don't have any other options.. Just hate going aftermarket unknown parts sometimes because it cause repair issues down the road. Ran into a Nikki knockoff last summer that the OEM kit wouldn't repair. Had to replace the carb on that one also.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IL, Yes is not your fault totally but I would at least have a discussion with the client about it to see if he wants risk the possible problems with using an after market part.

It is a shame that Briggs put us and themselves in this position. They are the ones that chose to pay the CEO his major bonus instead of paying their bills. So when they stabbed their vendors it left a lot hard feelings between them. Some are not willing to work with Briggs which is making Briggs to hunt for new vendors. But the after market vendors are having a field day with this.

Personally I am surprised that Briggs has not completely folded yet. This parts issue is causing a lot problems not just for us but new equipment manufactures too. I think we will be seeing more Kohler, Kawasaki, and MTD engines in the near future.

And this pandemic is not helping at all as it causing problems across the board. And is getting worst as some my distributors are now demanding for us to help keep them afloat by buying X dollars in parts even though they cant even deliver the parts on time when we are also having problems obtaining working capital ourselves. They are going to need to tighten their belts as just we do.

We are all basically in the same ship that is trying to sink. I am bailing as much water as I can. That meant that I had forego Christmas gifts this time around just to pay my bills as business has dropped off that much here.

I got con by the government into investing most of the promised stimulus money by borrowing before I received the money which I have yet to see a single penny of. You just can't depend on the government when they owe you to pay. $3200 might not sound like a lot but since I only gross $20K last year it is a lot and netted $5K. I had to do very tight inventory control this last year so it has decreased a little from 38K.

1641728268904.png

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
@StarTech I agree with every word that you said. Briggs has killed their own market, and I am sure after the Husqvarna fiasco they will be limiting their Briggs engine purchases. I am sure PD is also going to be hurting since they are the exclusive Briggs distributor. And the complete purchase of MTD and Excel by BD will result in MTD engines being used on Hustler. And I am starting to wonder about Oregon since they were also bought out and haven't posted a 2022 parts catalog yet. And several parts that I have tried to get through Oregon recently that was in their 2021 catalog are NLA.

And I don't think the customer in this case will have issues with using a questionable aftermarket carb since it is looking like the OEM may never show up, and I know for a fact that the customer is bad at using ebay/amazon Chinese parts to repair other items that they own. Will keep the OEM carb on backorder just in case I have to go back and replace the aftermarket carb in the future if the OEM ever shows up. My other concern is if a carb is this hard to get what other parts will it need in the future and may not even be available.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is the problems we both have gone through lately like the camshafts or the carburetor kit I needed for an engine on the PowerMate generator I am repairing. I had to piece together a kit as the regular kit has been on back for three months until I cancel the order last week.

Do you remember how Tecumseh failure did us?

On Oregon catalog I just got the 2022 printed catalog in the mail. It is Red and Black where 2020 year was nearly all Red on the covers. And items going NLA makes sense as the volume drops off to near none profit. I just hope the online site is getting updated too as it easier to search for items when you have a PDF or online site.

I did get some good news about the camshafts the two 793880 I miss placed about 1 yr ago were found yesterday. I had just had them in the wrong bin or they were lost due to a programming by my software vendor. Until recently the software wasn't carrying over my bin location when an item got superseded so it ended up in limbo until the annual physical inventory. I had thought someone had walk off with them. I working getting more bins setup but boy are expensive. I got six a few weeks and they were $200 for the palletizing versions. It was the shipping that hurt so much, they were light but very large.

And don't mention a Hustler Super Z with a Briggs to me right now. Yesterday it took nearly an hour to get the engine off. The previous owner had install a Briggs install in of the Kawasaki. Boy what a pain to get the engine mounting bolts. I will need get a junk 1/2 wrench and cut it in half or buy a set stubby wrenches. I did finally got the engine off now the left hydro comes off early this week.

I still got the put crankcase on and rebuild the hydro pump. Both are leaking like there is no gaskets. It be my first Hydro Gear BDP21L pump to completely tear down.