Used oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbrac

Threads
Much of the used oil is fired in cement kilns and other fired equipment that can get complete combustion of the waste oil. Gasoline and other combustibles in the oil are not an issue for these types of equipment.

Gunn308

Threads
My mechanic just bought an oil truck for used motor oil storage out back of his shop so I a disposal spot. I have a wood bed on the back of my truck and the underside was soaked with used motor oil many times before assembly. I have a friend that uses it to spray and then brush into his manufactured log cabin, he made an agitator to keep the color consistent looks weathered gray/brown and it's free.

callwill

Threads
Here in NY it's easy, all the service and auto parts stores have to take it free. This includes Home Depot and Lowes since they sell oil. Metal oil filters need a hole punched in them to drain excess oil and then are disposed of. Two shops by me have waste oil heaters and use them to keep the shop warm. The heating units are designed to remove water. They do have to pay to have excess picked up by a waste oil company. If the waste oil company detects gasoline mixed in with the oil there is an extra charge. There is also a waste site in the County where you can drop off anything from oil, paint, refrigeration, and electronics for safe disposal.
Im in upstate western NY. Finding a place to take used oil is easy. Disposing of used antifreeze is a big issue. I called the county here, they said they try to arrange a once a year collection, have no permanent collection place. You have to know when it is scheduled by regularly checking and then make an appointment!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't forget the under side of your mower decks. Right about now is great for them. Not many are cutting grass at the moment. Slather it on with an old paint brush.

Gunn308

Threads
Don't forget the under side of your mower decks. Right about now is great for them. Not many are cutting grass at the moment. Slather it on with an old paint brush.
Used to paint it on farm equipment for winter and use it on concrete forms but it's not an environmentally sound practice now

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems some places have it harder to dispose (properly) of used oil & especially anti-freeze.

Tbone0106

Threads
Mix it 50/50 with Diesel or spray on direct to your wooden stockade fence. Excellent way to recycle used motor oil. 100 plus year old farmers trick. Do it to my fence every two years. Still looks like new from our 2017 install. Neighbors full cedar is looking rather weathered about now. Diesel truck oil is the best. It is very black and stains the wood well. Clean oil doesn't stain the wood much. Trailers with wooden plank boards, same deal. Bugs don't like it. Doesn't catch fire. It actually soaks into the wood. You can put a cigarette light directly on the wood. It will not light off. It sits there and smolders.
Many years ago, my partner and I built a ranch-style house for an owner in Brown County, Ohio. We installed cedar lap siding. The owner came along and sprayed it all with a mixture of 50% Diesel fuel and 50% ATF. He wanted the reddish tone that the ATF would provide. I have to say it was pretty.

mcHarley

Forum Newbie
Threads
What do you guys do with your used oil? We have ours picked up by Safety Kleen. They use to pay for it but now charge to pick it up. Was talking to the guy that picked it up and he said a lot of the major oil companies bought from them and reprossed it. Like Mobile One, Valvoline to name a few. Said it cost less to process and was better than the crude. Don't know if this is true or not does anyone here know for sure.
I use it in my chainsaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.