Used oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

remdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
The village where I live has a dump site. They use it in the waste oil burner that heats the equipment garage.

Gebo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Propane is our fuel of choice if we are out in woods trying to have a smokeless fire.

rhiebert

Threads
What do you guys do with your used oil? We have ours picked up by Safety Kleen. They use to pay for it but now charge to pick it up. Was talking to the guy that picked it up and he said a lot of the major oil companies bought from them and reprossed it. Like Mobile One, Valvoline to name a few. Said it cost less to process and was better than the crude. Don't know if this is true or not does anyone here know for sure.
When I had an F-150 half-ton it used AMSOIL 100% synthetic engine oil with twenty-five thousand miles "under it belt". That used oil is what I put into my lawn mower. When the mower needed new oil I took that used AMSOIL synthetic to a Canadian Tire store that let me dump it into their used oil tank.

JAZ

Threads
What do you guys do with your used oil? We have ours picked up by Safety Kleen. They use to pay for it but now charge to pick it up. Was talking to the guy that picked it up and he said a lot of the major oil companies bought from them and reprossed it. Like Mobile One, Valvoline to name a few. Said it cost less to process and was better than the crude. Don't know if this is true or not does anyone here know for sure.
Yaa! They charge you to pick it up then charge you to buy it again. Nice deal.

BTBO

Threads
Walmart, Autozone and Oreillys all accept used oil and filters.

Fourester

Forum Newbie
Threads
The agency I worked for had a used oil heater in the maintenance shop. That is where I would dump it. I have a drip torch I use for controlled burning that uses a 3:2 oil (or diesel)-to-gasoline ratio. I use the old oil in that along with old gas I drain from my generator every year. Our recycling center also takes used oil and filters. The auto parts places will take it, but more often than not, their barrels are full when I go there.

Cajun power

Threads
I mix old oil with kerosene or diesel. this is used to clean parts that are heavily coated with grease/lube. I also use this same fuel/oil mix to help light off the occasional burnpile in rainy weather, which tends to be the ideal moment to do large burn pile fires. You get the benefit of reducing fiery embers that can cause uncontrolled fires elsewhere and reduces the amount of soot that can rain back down on things you would prefer not to have soot and ash. as a accelerant, fuel/oil is safer to use. Please do not attempt this with gasoline.

joea99

Threads
Im in upstate western NY. Finding a place to take used oil is easy. Disposing of used antifreeze is a big issue. I called the county here, they said they try to arrange a once a year collection, have no permanent collection place. You have to know when it is scheduled by regularly checking and then make an appointment!
Mid Hudson area, same deal. No one wants anti-freeze, only one municipal dump will take any and you have to get their annual permit.

Twice a year the county semi-private waste collection outfit will hold a "household waste" collection and they will take AF, "bad gasoline", oil filters, but . . . not used oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.