Used oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

judy0320

Forum Newbie
Threads
if you know anyone in the auto or equipment repair, check with them to see if you could put it in their oil fired heater. Plus see if they still scrap out filters. We use to cut them open and recycle the guts and scrap out the cases

Chuter

Threads
I take mine to the local Walmart. They take it at no charge. Some will take filters too. I've also found some auto parts stores will take it, sometimes they charge.

Chipg1956

Threads
Whatever you do with your old oil, do so anonymously. You do not want to be associated in any way to a superfund sight. Something like 95% of money that supposedly goes to cleaning up land that was contaminated by hazardous materials actually goes to lawyers that will endlessly harass companies that contributed any amount of material to a superfund site. Years ago I had a job where I dealt with such litigation. I have no knowledge of any individuals that were targeted but I make certain that my name is never associated with disposal of any such material.

jcworks

Threads
Mix it 50/50 with Diesel or spray on direct to your wooden stockade fence. Excellent way to recycle used motor oil. 100 plus year old farmers trick. Do it to my fence every two years. Still looks like new from our 2017 install. Neighbors full cedar is looking rather weathered about now. Diesel truck oil is the best. It is very black and stains the wood well. Clean oil doesn't stain the wood much. Trailers with wooden plank boards, same deal. Bugs don't like it. Doesn't catch fire. It actually soaks into the wood. You can put a cigarette light directly on the wood. It will not light off. It sits there and smolders.
I did this with my utility trailer.

Beesnweeds

Threads
They would not want this stuff since it has water and gas along with the oil
That doesnt matter. Im REALLY surprised that no one here uses it for a waste oil drip burner. I would get laughed at driving around looking for a place to dump oil.

Vic bellan

Forum Newbie
Threads
What do you guys do with your used oil? We have ours picked up by Safety Kleen. They use to pay for it but now charge to pick it up. Was talking to the guy that picked it up and he said a lot of the major oil companies bought from them and reprossed it. Like Mobile One, Valvoline to name a few. Said it cost less to process and was better than the crude. Don't know if this is true or not does anyone here know for sure.
Our school bus barn is heated with waste oil, I collect it in a 35 gallon drum & take it there when full ! check around and see who may be heating with such a process !

Air4Dave

Threads
What do you guys do with your used oil? We have ours picked up by Safety Kleen. They use to pay for it but now charge to pick it up. Was talking to the guy that picked it up and he said a lot of the major oil companies bought from them and reprossed it. Like Mobile One, Valvoline to name a few. Said it cost less to process and was better than the crude. Don't know if this is true or not does anyone here know for sure.
It's too bad the companies that pick up the used oil don't pay anything anymore! Having worked for a major oil company for over 27 years I can say that, yes, they all recycle the used oil back into the refineries and sell it as recycled oil - or used to - at most auto parts stores. The process is expensive and, as I recall, only about 40% of the used oil is actually IN the product that is sold (all the contaminates and water are burned off and filtered out).
So... that's just a short explanation on the used oil processing and how it's re-introduced into the market. Each state has it's own rules, but mostly you can take it to any parts store and they will take it for free. I usually dump mine into a 5 gallon bucket and then when full take it to get dumped.

djjsc

Forum Newbie
Threads

Goes into my chebbies.......... their appetite is considerable.

Pitt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Quick trip to O’Reilly with a 5 gal gas can full of old oil

Alan46

Threads
When the garbage company collects our waste, we can leave clear plastic gl.jugs with used motor oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.