Upgrading my mower

Threads
That Billy goat gad a Trans-axle it wasn't belt drive. Do you even know how a belt drive works?

Oh OK. I think I used the Billy Goat on like 4 lawns before A) it broke down and B) I couldn't stand it anymore. Yes I know the basics of how a belt drive works. Keep in mind I have used a 21" hydrostatic lawn mower and other 21" mowers for my whole lawn mowing life. So it's a learning process.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oh OK. I think I used the Billy Goat on like 4 lawns before A) it broke down and B) I couldn't stand it anymore. Yes I know the basics of how a belt drive works. Keep in mind I have used a 21" hydrostatic lawn mower and other 21" mowers for my whole lawn mowing life. So it's a learning process.

Hydrostatic doesn't have anything to do with it and please tell me how you drive a commercial belt drive if you have the basics and if you couldn't stand after 4 lawns with the BG why in the world do you want something that weighs twice as much and is twice as hard to drive?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
A walk behind has a transaxle that puts power to both wheels. Turning is done by making one of the belts slip.

Threads
Hydrostatic doesn't have anything to do with it and please tell me how you drive a commercial belt drive if you have the basics and if you couldn't stand after 4 lawns with the BG why in the world do you want something that weighs twice as much and is twice as hard to drive?

I didn't say I was physically unable to STAND, I said I couldn't stand IT (the mower). First off, it didn't have any controls to turn the mower, so you had to use your whole body weight. But that didn't even bother me. It just sucked at cutting, and bolts were falling off all the time.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
A walk behind has a transaxle that puts power to both wheels. Turning is done by making one of the belts slip.

Yes it has a transaxle but not the same as the one he is looking at and I never turned a commercial wb by slipping a belt.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes it has a transaxle but not the same as the one he is looking at and I never turned a commercial wb by slipping a belt.

On a belt drive walk behind when you want to turn right and move the lever or squeeze the handle it pulls the pulley away from the belt. The transaxle pulley is still turning.
Every time you turn just a little the belt slips.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I didn't say I was physically unable to STAND, I said I couldn't stand IT (the mower). First off, it didn't have any controls to turn the mower, so you had to use your whole body weight. But that didn't even bother me. It just sucked at cutting, and bolts were falling off all the time.

Well to begin with it will probably have the peerless 5 speed plus reverse operator assist drive that you'll have too grease every so many hours, I think mine was every 25hrs. It has independent wheel steering and steering is done by applying the brake to one wheel or the other and as long as you leave the tension on the belts to there lowest settings you should be able to steer it without to much problem but when you apply more tension to the belts to improve traction the paddles are twice as hard to pull to steer or apply braking to steer. Personally I used BIOFREEZE it worked well when I had my WB.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
On a belt drive walk behind when you want to turn right and move the lever or squeeze the handle it pulls the pulley away from the belt. The transaxle pulley is still turning.
Every time you turn just a little the belt slips.

You say belt slip, I say Brake, it all amounts to the same thing Your stopping or slowing down a wheel to turn the machine.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You say belt slip, I say Brake, it all amounts to the same thing Your stopping or slowing down a wheel to turn the machine.

Right.

But think about this you apply the brake and the belt does not slip. Something has to break.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Right.

But think about this you apply the brake and the belt does not slip. Something has to break.

This is per the manual:
10. Squeeze both steering/brake levers with both hands and
release the neutral latch levers from the neutral lock
position.
11. Slowly release the steering/brake levers and the mower
will move ahead in a straight line. To turn the mower,
squeeze the steering/brake lever on the side to which
you want to turn.
12. To stop the mowerç—´ forward motion, squeeze both
steering/brake levers until the mower stops and place
the neutral latch levers into the neutral lock

You steer with the brake levers by apply pressure to the brake to stop or slow the wheel for the direction you want to move. If the belts were designed to slip they wouldn't have or be ribbed belts.

Last edited: