Upgrade to Flat-Free tires/wheels

BohoRex

Threads
I've got an OLD Snapper LT-125 - with the original wheels, and have changed the tires - yearly - because... well... mesquite tree thorns.

I'm over fighting the air-filled small tires to get them installed on the wheels - and really would like to move to some flat-free options. And note: I'm not necessarily using this Snapper as a mower - so a flat tread is NOT necessary -.... I'm using it more as an ATV to haul beekeeping equipment and feed through muddy fields when it's too wet/muddy to get my flatbed F150 in and out - and am at risk of getting the truck stuck. I figure I can leave the mower in a client's field til it dries out a bit if it gets stuck - and not risk the truck (again).

Here's what's on currently -
7101563 - Rear Tire & Wheel
1729708 - Front Tire & Wheel (plus the bearings)

The wheels on the Snapper have appx a 2" hub offset on the inside of each of the wheels.

Is anyone aware of either a tire replacement that can install on the wheels? Or a whole wheel/tire assembly kit - that's a flat-free option?

Thanks,
Rex S.

BohoRex

Threads
Only very briefly. I looked through a few YT videos on filling with foam - and that didn't seem like a good long-term solution with the way foam compresses over time after cured.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you thought about filling them with foam?
The guy that has to change them after you do this will choke you out for doing it. LOL Around here when tire shops hear Fix-A-Flat, they send you packing. Won't even touch your junk.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A lot of professional green keeping mowers will use split rims on the deck
If you are not mowing with it them there is no real reason to stick with the original wheels or even the original bearings / bushes
So the fronts are available as either split rim or solid just look up 15x6x6 split rim wheels or 15x6x6 solid tyres
The rears will be a bit more tricky but again try looking for 20x10x8 split rim
To fit the latter you chop the rim off your original wheels leaving the flange & hub . The drill the hub to take the bolts for the split rim wheel .
If necessary you may need to add some spacers .

Alternatively get some good quality 6 ply tubeless tyres , a 12V air compressor & a mower tyre plug kit ( Northern Labs from memory )
Do not use car plugs because car plugs need heat build up to activate the glue & make the plug stay in place where as mower tyres will never get hot enough.
The just find the thorn , push it through or pull it out then plug the tyre .
The landlord used to use the 2000 series Cubs to clear out the paddocks & creeks of Lantana , Blackberries & Honey Locuts . The latter grow thorns up to 4" long that go strait through the 40 HP International tractor tyres so some of those cubs had over 40 plugs in them
Six ply tyres make a big difference and new ones with deep treads make a bigger difference .
Tubes are for filling the beds of mental asylums or a last ditch emergency repair when the side walls are so cracked they leak around the manufacturers brand names .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The guy that has to change them after you do this will choke you out for doing it. LOL Around here when tire shops hear Fix-A-Flat, they send you packing. Won't even touch your junk.
I’m not talking about fix-a-flat. I’m talking about spray foam insulation.
There is also a special rubberized filling that is sometimes put in agricultural tractor tires.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was talking about fix-a-flat. Spray foam is even worse. Do a set of four and take it to your local tire shop. See what they say.
Does it really matter? The OP isn’t using it as a lawn mower. He’s using it as a hauler/ATV. He’s worried about Mesquite thorns. When he wears the tires out, he can replace the entire wheel assembly.
Some tire shops offer polyurethane tire fill for ATV, lawn tractor, and zero turn tires.
I have actually seen this stuff work in farm tractors. When I was employed with our county public works, all of the tractors were filled with this stuff before ever going into service. Mowing roadsides, there was lots of down time due to flats. The polyurethane fill ended that maintenance problem. The tires were in service so long that the actual tire wore out before the polyurethane filling failed.
The OP should call his local tire shops and inquire about the stuff.

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is the stuff that I was talking about.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m not talking about fix-a-flat. I’m talking about spray foam insulation.
There is also a special rubberized filling that is sometimes put in agricultural tractor tires.
The stuff is called tyre moese and is frightfully expensive
Farm tractors usually run tubed tyres 1/3 filled with water for ballast

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The stuff is called tyre moese and is frightfully expensive
Farm tractors usually run tubed tyres 1/3 filled with water for ballast
That might be true. However, that’s what went in every tire of the tractors that pulled our county roadside mowers (15’ flex wing and 7’ rotary mowers). Tractor tires are more expensive than the fill.