Troy Built Trimmer Wont Rev Up

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First replacement was an EBay and was marked 173 on the bottom, the second was OEM and came in a bag stating it was OEM for several models and makes and was also stamped 173. I’m thinking it came from MTD somehow.
Of course it came in a MTD. MTD made the trimmer. And carburetor PN 753-05133 should be a Walbro WT-827.

If it has the dual mixture adjustments then it needs tuning to the engine. They only come tune to a will start condition.

BillCT

Threads
Of course it came in a MTD. MTD made the trimmer. And carburetor PN 753-05133 should be a Walbro WT-827.

If it has the dual mixture adjustments then it needs tuning to the engine. They only come tune to a will start condition.
Yes, I did adjust the high speed adjustment to see if it would make an improvement in performance, it did not. Actually I took it to the lawmower shop down town because I needed that special wrence and he tried to get it to rev adjusting the screw.

BillCT

Threads
You have not answere Hammers question
Where did you get the coil from ?
did it have a brand name cast / stamped into it ?
The ratio of faulty to good ones sold through annonomus vendor platforms like Amazon/ ebay is about 3 to 1
Ebay and Amazon. Amazon came in a bag noting it was genuine OEM part for various trimmers marked on the bag, I don't have the bag any longer. No manufacturers name on the part but was stamped with the number 173.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove spark plug , ground it to the head..pull starter look for nice blue spark
Not a good test, does not simulate firing under compression. Needs to jump 1/4 inch gap.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Original problem: ran fine then just stopped with no spark.
Replaced coil: now starts but won't rev up.
Started chasing problem: no change.

Remove the carb. Spray a half second shot of starting fluid in the intake and try to start. Engine should start and rev up high for a couple seconds. If not either incorrect spark timing, low compression or bad crank seals.

My money is on the coil having wrong timing. Seen it too many times from AM coils.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ebay and Amazon. Amazon came in a bag noting it was genuine OEM part for various trimmers marked on the bag, I don't have the bag any longer. No manufacturers name on the part but was stamped with the number 173.
A partt that was made by the original equipment supplier but rejected by quality control because it was sub standard is still an OEM part .
An OEM part in a package with the OEM brand name is an OEM part that passed quality testing .
The 2 are not the same .
The carbs that were sold down here with the makers name ground off were OEM parts .
They just happen to be OEM parts that failed the quality test .
Then there are OEM parts made at the factory who originally had the contract but lost it because their pats were responsible fr too many warranty claims
Again still legally an OEM part , just not current OEM part .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If it was a true OEM carburetor it would had the manufactures name on it. Either Walbro, Zama, or Ruixing which are the only OEMs that MTD had used to my knowledge. I could stamp 173 on my Chevy's carb but that doesn't mean it now fits the weed eater.

There is a lot of crooks on Amazon and eBay. You got to deal with known good guys. And even some my distributors get burned at times. I know Stens has gotten at least once thenselves as those primers failed to make it through the initial repair job.