Troy Bilt TB30R Engine *help*

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Personally I prefer to do the troubleshooting first before installing a non returnable $100+ OEM carburetor. Fuel related items are like electrical items here; they are not returnable.

I know you guys hate taking things to professional mechanic but is the long run it saves a lot problems. I had customers with electrical issue to spend over $300 in parts just to end up bringing the equipment into my shop where I find a fifty cent wire terminal bad.

semimechanicman

Threads
Personally I prefer to do the troubleshooting first before installing a non returnable $100+ OEM carburetor. Fuel related items are like electrical items here; they are not returnable.

I know you guys hate taking things to professional mechanic but is the long run it saves a lot problems. I had customers with electrical issue to spend over $300 in parts just to end up bringing the equipment into my shop where I find a fifty cent wire terminal bad.
I usually buy carburators from ebay or amazon, which cost around 12 dollars depending if you want more things included or not. Many say that they are bad,but they arent. Yes Ive had one or two to come with a problem, but not including that they work perfectly fine.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You are one of the lucky ones then as I was getting about 1 out of 10 that work correctly.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
as far as ccp carbs go,i've had a few that required cleaning to run right... bought one for my personal GX390, surged right out of the box, took apart, cleaned it. put it back on and ran like a top.
I had to order one for my Mule last year, a new mikuni is around $170 and north of 200 depending where you look, i bought a chineseium off of scAmazon, put it on and got it adjusted, however, when idling, when i press on the accelerator the RPM's would raise to probably about 2,200 as the belt would just be engaging, then drop down at a certain point, and if i kept pushing the accelerator through the RPM dop it would go. took it off, cleaned it, sprayed all the jets and passages with carburetor cleaner, put it back on and it ran like a top with no hesitation at take off.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
They are about 50% for me. Got a couple for kohlers with wrong size main jet drilled in them. Tried 2 of the new plastic briggs carbs. Both just surged all the time. Most in The ebay stihl generic tune up kits have crap carbs, fuel lines and spark plugs. The generic Honda carbs seem to work ok and ones for the older tecumseh engines. As they say. It is a crap shoot. To OEM or not to OEM. That is the question.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I usually buy carburators from ebay or amazon, which cost around 12 dollars depending if you want more things included or not. Many say that they are bad,but they arent. Yes Ive had one or two to come with a problem, but not including that they work perfectly fine.
What you mean is they ran well enough for you to sell the mower .
What happened when the new owner gets a few hours up is a different thing

As for solving the problem that is not there, I get about one customer a month who has spent near $ 1000 ( aus) trying to fix the starting problem on their mower by throwing parts at it.
All of these just needed a valve lash adjustment .

If you can not work out if the carb is functioning properly in under 5 minutes then you should not be repairing mowers.
I gove 6 months warranty on repairs and 12 months on the few mowers I resell.
This has to be done to counter all of the sleazies who get mowers form the dump, toss some cheap Chinese parts on them then sell them as "reconditioned"

semimechanicman

Threads
What you mean is they ran well enough for you to sell the mower .
What happened when the new owner gets a few hours up is a different thing

As for solving the problem that is not there, I get about one customer a month who has spent near $ 1000 ( aus) trying to fix the starting problem on their mower by throwing parts at it.
All of these just needed a valve lash adjustment .

If you can not work out if the carb is functioning properly in under 5 minutes then you should not be repairing mowers.
I gove 6 months warranty on repairs and 12 months on the few mowers I resell.
This has to be done to counter all of the sleazies who get mowers form the dump, toss some cheap Chinese parts on them then sell them as "reconditioned"
I don’t run a business like you do and I just fix and sell for fun.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I don’t run a business like you do and I just fix and sell for fun.
I sure hope you got very good liability insurance in case you just rig something up that get an user hurt. Here I rigged jobs that has to repaired right including safety systems or the customer can just carry the equipment to another.

I don't want to be the one responsible for a child getting chopped up because the reverse lock0out system was bypassed.. And it has happen twice in the last five years in North Alabama alone, none were any of my repairs.