Troy Bilt TB30R Engine *help*

tubejock

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good Day Everyone!

I bought a TB30R rider new back in the Spring of 2020, I changed the oil after the break-in period and replaced the stock plug with a stainless steel pipe and elbow to make oil changes easier. Over the course of the summer, it leaked all the oil out and I seized the engine to the point it won't turn over. In light of this, I contacted a few hardware/lawnmower repair places and I hear a new engine is $975-$1500.00 for a new motor. Is there ANY other engines that would work on these mowers????? Any help is greatly appreciated!! TIA!!

Beginer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm here with a problem as well , I also have a TB 30 R that will crank but won"t start. Thing is if I take off the carb filter and cover the hole with my hand it will start , once I remove my hand it will die then . I would appreciate any and all help TIA.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Sounds like it's running too lean, either a dirty carb that needs cleaned, or a intake gasket leaking.

Beginer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like it's running too lean, either a dirty carb that needs cleaned, or a intake gasket leaking.
Well I know that when I had my hand over the hole that it was sucking it in hard. In other words it was alittle hard to pull away.

semimechanicman

Threads
Well I know that when I had my hand over the hole that it was sucking it in hard. In other words it was alittle hard to pull away.
You should probably just buy a new Carburator as that is the number one thing to do when fixing a mower

here’s a link to the carb of that engine (don’t know if it’s correct) https://www.ebay.com/itm/324442596024

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You should probably just buy a new Carburator as that is the number one thing to do when fixing a mower
That DIYer does he is most times by just guessing and throwing money at the problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

here’s a link to the carb of that engine (don’t know if it’s correct) https://www.ebay.com/itm/324442596024

Diagnosing what is wrong is the No 1 thing you go when attempting a repair
Last time I checked a new carb does not fix a hole in the piston, stuck valve, bent pushrod, broken timing key, cracked intake manifold, worn out rings, broken ring, bad fuel, gummed up fuel lines, etc,etc,etc
All of these are very common faults with the 200 or so mowers that come into my shop every year.

And head & shoulders above all problems is a bad plug, but that is generally a symptom , not the actual cause

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a can of carb cleaner.
Start the engine then give it a short shot of cleaner down the carb throat.
If it continues to run repeat a few times , say about 30 seconds.
If you can keep it running then that says the carb is not supplying enough fuel to the engine.
So you start either at the tank and check fuel supply all the way to the intake valve or start with the carb and go back to the tank.
The engine causes the sucking .
The carb has to put enough fuel into that sucked air to keep the engine running.
Yours is not doing this

semimechanicman

Threads
Diagnosing what is wrong is the No 1 thing you go when attempting a repair
Last time I checked a new carb does not fix a hole in the piston, stuck valve, bent pushrod, broken timing key, cracked intake manifold, worn out rings, broken ring, bad fuel, gummed up fuel lines, etc,etc,etc
All of these are very common faults with the 200 or so mowers that come into my shop every year.

And head & shoulders above all problems is a bad plug, but that is generally a symptom , not the actual cause
Your right, but it just gets that problem out of the way to make sure that it isnt simply just the carb.