tractor front wheels pointed out

boston

Threads
My craftsman tractor front wheels are pointed outwards instead of straight. It's not a huge problem but it affects my turning radius when I'm mowing or cruising . The wheels look like this: \-/ . I don't know if I need to replace a part or adjust something

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
If they look like that you need to have a front end alignment done. Do you have a manual for the mower, if so it should tell the correct procedure to do the toe in adjustment.

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
My wheel horse has adjustable tie rods, but I am going to take a guess your craftsman doesn't. But if it does just adjust the wheels straight with a tape measure. The most likely thing that happen you bent a spindle by hitting something or a tie rod which isn't so likely. You are going to have to take some measurements to figure out what is bent or worn out and go from there.

boston

Threads
Is replacing a spindle A big job?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is replacing a spindle A big job?

No, First jack the front end up. you will need a snap ring pliers. Two snap rings per side. one snap ring to hold the wheel on and the other on top of the axle. A wrench to remove the tie rod end.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Along with bent parts causing that... check the bushings. If they are worn out, the wheels will toe-out... :smile:KennyV

boston

Threads
Is there any way I can see a diagram of this and the parts I need for the repair?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is there any way I can see a diagram of this and the parts I need for the repair?

You will need a tractor model number then a parts search You should be able to find a parts diagram with all the part numbers. Your best way would be to call Sears with your model number and tell them what you need. Did you figure out what was bent or worn? If you give me your tractor model number I could help you a little better because I really don't know what you have? I am just guessing what your problem is or how to replace your spindle from other jobs I have done.

boston

Threads
I know its either a 1996 or 1992 craftsman 15 HP kohler. 42 inch deck

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
Sears/Craftsman has a lot of models. Not a knock on Craftsman, but if you don't have the model and serial number you could encounter problems finding the right parts.