Toro MX5060 Lubrication

Brucebotti

Threads
fwiw: The oils designed for auto use have to have a much lower Zinc content, to protect the catalytic converters on autos.
Zinc is very effective friction reducer..

There are oils designed for pre cat- converter autos that have much higher Zinc content..

PS: I have the Pre-Filter on my 4260 & it really helps..

That's interesting. What oil brands would you recommend that have the higher Zinc content.
Thanks,
Bruce

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oils have greatly improved over time.. In my Bikes & last mower I used Valvoline VR1 Valvoline.com > FAQs > Motor Oil Car FAQs > Racing Oil

Now with my new Toro w/ Kawi engine, I will use the recommended "Kawi-oil" till out of warranty, it also has higher levels of Zinc..

Most auto parts stores have various brands listed as Racing Oil & not for Street use.. These should also have higher levels of Zinc (ZDDP)

Last edited:

wbw

Threads
Being really fanatical, I also changed the oil and filters for the hydro drives. I've been told that this was a total waste, but at least it made me feel better.....:laughing:.

Bruce

Does the MX5060 have commercial hydros vs the SS5060? I'm the guy that just got the SS5060. I'm pretty sure that mine are supposed to be no-maintenance. Maybe you have the ZT-2800 hydros.

Brucebotti

Threads
Oils have greatly improved over time.. In my Bikes & last mower I used Valvoline VR1 Valvoline.com > FAQs > Motor Oil Car FAQs > Racing Oil

Now with my new Toro w/ Kawi engine, I will use the recommended "Kawi-oil" till out of warranty, it also has higher levels of Zinc..

Most auto parts stores have various brands listed as Racing Oil & not for Street use.. These should also have higher levels of Zinc (ZDDP)

Thanks for the info. I'll check that out at the auto parts store. That's a good idea about using the Kawi oil. I don't know how expensive it is, but for the amount I would use its not a big deal
Bruce

Brucebotti

Threads
Does the MX5060 have commercial hydros vs the SS5060? I'm the guy that just got the SS5060. I'm pretty sure that mine are supposed to be no-maintenance. Maybe you have the ZT-2800 hydros.

The MX5060 does have the "serviceable" ZT2800 hydros. I don't believe they would be considered commercial. I would call them high-end residential....:smile:
Bruce

Lawn Addict
Threads
:thumbsup: Bruce- yes the info I studied show only the MX5060 has the ZT2800 hydros (due to the fab. deck extra weigh) & an oil filter on each hydro.

PS: The Kawi oil is a straight 30wt dino-oil, & cost me $5.99 per qt. at my local dealer... About what something decent from auto parts would cost as well.

It is listed for commecial use Kawi engines & recommended for Res. Kawis too..

Brucebotti

Threads
:thumbsup: Bruce- yes the info I studied show only the MX5060 has the ZT2800 hydros (due to the fab. deck extra weigh) & an oil filter on each hydro.

PS: The Kawi oil is a straight 30wt dino-oil, & cost me $5.99 per qt. at my local dealer... About what something decent from auto parts would cost as well.

It is listed for commecial use Kawi engines & recommended for Res. Kawis too..

Thanks for the Kawi oil info. At $5.99 per quart, its not outrageously priced. I think I'll go with it for the next change.

Those oil filters on the hydro units were a bear to change. i had an oil filter socket and got one off easily. On the other side, I ended up having to pierce it with a screwdriver to get it off. You can imagine how much I was rethinking my decision to change out the oil & filters before the recommended interval....:laughing:!
Bruce

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bruce- That sounds like that one hydro filter didn't want changed...Yeoww !! I bet you were rethinking your plan.. But you got her done.. :thumbsup: Should be easier next time..

I have had to pierce a filter or two on trucks of mine, but they were old...

PS: When I did my 8 hour 'break-in' oil & filter change, the drain screw/hex was only finger tight.. That was an eye-opener.. :eek:

Brucebotti

Threads
Bruce- That sounds like that one hydro filter didn't want changed...Yeoww !! I bet you were rethinking your plan.. But you got her done.. :thumbsup: Should be easier next time..

I have had to pierce a filter or two on trucks of mine, but they were old...

PS: When I did my 8 hour 'break-in' oil & filter change, the drain screw/hex was only finger tight.. That was an eye-opener.. :eek:

I've only had to pry a feww off in my day. It was usually after bringing it somewhere to have it changed. That's why I always do all the maintenance myself. Then I have no one else to blame, except the "nut" with the wrench?.

When I changed the oil for the first time, my drain screw wasn't loose, but it was too messy for my liking. I guess that's the price we have to pay.
Bruce

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've only had to pry a few off in my day. It was usually after bringing it somewhere to have it changed. That's why I always do all the maintenance myself. Then I have no one else to blame, except the "nut" with the wrench.

When I changed the oil for the first time, my drain screw wasn't loose, but it was too messy for my liking. I guess that's the price we have to pay.
Bruce

Bruce- Yes, I prefer doing my own wrenching as well (other than any covered warranty work) & agree about only me to blame if I screw it up..:laughing:

Good that your drain screw was tight, mine certainly is now... I also cut down a plastic small round can, I made it to fit under the oil filter ledge.. The smaller lid I used was not quite adequate on capacity (eyes roll).. Good thing I put down heavy layer of plastic covering the deck area there ..

And for the drain, I notched the smaller lid (mentioned above) & it will now easily fit under the drain, so I should be better prepared for next oil change..:biggrin:

And about my drain screw, I dug around & found a rubber plug that fits perfectly over the drain housing, I cut down the depth so it bottoms on the drain screw head..

Now I don't have to obsess about that drain coming loose while mowing..

Buddy