Toro MX5060 Lubrication

Brucebotti

Threads
I have had the MX5060 for a little over a year and I absolutely love it. I have religiously followed the maintenance schedule. Actually I do oil changes and lubrication much more often than the recommended intervals. My only concern is the front wheel uprights. I can lube the wheel itself, but there is no provision for the upright (the part that swivels like a caster). Is there any way to lube this, or is it a lubed-for-life part? I don't want to take it apart and ruin anything. Any ideas / advice?
Thanks,
Bruce

flywindy

Threads
Hello,
I have the same mower and had the same concerns until I looked at the parts manual and saw that there were sealed bearings in there! A great improvement over the older models! In fact I wish they would do the same on the wheels and then there would be no grease fittings at all on the mower!
Enjoy,
Flywindy

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello,
I have the same mower and had the same concerns until I looked at the parts manual and saw that there were sealed bearings in there! A great improvement over the older models! In fact I wish they would do the same on the wheels and then there would be no grease fittings at all on the mower!
Enjoy,
Flywindy

More and more manufacturers are going to the sealed bearings(wheels and blade spindles) and it sometimes stirs up quite a controversy. There have been significant advances in the design and materials used in sealed bearings over the last few years and their longevity greatly increased. I, too, was accustomed to a lawn tractor that had greases zerks in the blade spindles and I religiously lubed them every 25 hours. When I began shopping ZTR's in the summer of 2012 I found that MANY of the higher quality(Commercial) ZTR's had sealed bearings and was quite disappointed that you could not perform maintenance on something so important(especially on such expensive mowers). I asked almost every dealer why and the resounding response was that not only were the sealed bearings just as good....but that for years some manufacturers were actually adding grease zerks on spindles that contained "sealed bearings". The Gravely dealer mechanic actually showed me a spindle that they had rebuilt and indeed the original bearings that were removed were completely sealed and the grease zerks only filled the spindle cavity around the bearings and never touched an actual bearing. He told me the manufacturers were doing that because the consumers demanded grease zerks and that the addition of them was nothing more than a placebo to satisfy consumers who insisted on maintaining their spindles. And I got this same story from 4-5 different dealers as well as on forums like this. The more I researched this the more I was convinced that sealed bearings were not a concern. The Gravely mechanic assured me that the life expectancy on the sealed bearings used on my Pro-Turn was easily 2,500-3,000 hours and were very much good for the expected lifetime of most ZTR's. And yes...the improvements to sealed bearings were propagated by professional landscapers who needed the time they had to devote to maintenance reduced.

Brucebotti

Threads
flywindy and djdicetn,
Thanks for the info. I can breathe easier, knowing that there is no maintenance required on the uprights / spindles. I was afraid that it might just have some sort of nylon bushing for a bearing surface. I guess I should have just looked in the parts manual.
Thanks again!
Bruce

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
flywindy and djdicetn,
Thanks for the info. I can breathe easier, knowing that there is no maintenance required on the uprights / spindles. I was afraid that it might just have some sort of nylon bushing for a bearing surface. I guess I should have just looked in the parts manual.
Thanks again!
Bruce

Djdicetn is right, more and more manufacturers are using sealed bearings. I always said the samething that they needed zerks so I could grease thing and maintain the bearings but since I purchased the GS I've found the sealed bearings are better to use than the others. Just about everything on my GS is sealed and I have between 5 and 600 commercial hours on the mower and have never had an issue with any bearings.

Zeroturner

Threads
Brucebotti,

We have a lot in common in that I'm a maintenance fanatic.

That said, how often do you change out your air filter and do you slip on a foam pre-filter over it? My yard is dusty in some sections.

I'm going by the time the manual states to change it out, but I'm beginning to think that's not often enough, but what do I know...?

I keep 2 pre-filters, one to slip over the big air filter (after I gently tap out what dust I can...) after I wash the one I pull off which is about every third/fourth mowing my 1 1/2 acres.

Thanks!

Zeroturner

Threads
Brucebotti

I forgot to ask what sort of oil you use in your MX5060? And, do you change oil filters with every change though the manual says every other change is good enough?

Me, Mobil 1 synthetic 10W30, but perhaps I should switch to Mobil 1 straight 30, however the I'm not using any oil between changes.

Brucebotti

Threads
Brucebotti,

We have a lot in common in that I'm a maintenance fanatic.

That said, how often do you change out your air filter and do you slip on a foam pre-filter over it? My yard is dusty in some sections.

I'm going by the time the manual states to change it out, but I'm beginning to think that's not often enough, but what do I know...?

I keep 2 pre-filters, one to slip over the big air filter (after I gently tap out what dust I can...) after I wash the one I pull off which is about every third/fourth mowing my 1 1/2 acres.

Thanks!

Zeroturner,
First off, let me apologize for being so lame and taking so long to answer you. I've been so busy with work, honey-do lists, and three Grandbabies.

I have 56 hours on it now and I haven't changed the air filter yet. I do lightly blow it out every month or so. I plan on changing it at the end of the season at about 65 hours. I haven't tried a foam pre-filter, but I probably should. Normally it's not dusty here in CT, but this year has been really dry and dusty.

I think we are better off being maintenance fanatics as opposed to ignoring our equipment.

Take care,
Bruce

Brucebotti

Threads
Brucebotti

I forgot to ask what sort of oil you use in your MX5060? And, do you change oil filters with every change though the manual says every other change is good enough?

Me, Mobil 1 synthetic 10W30, but perhaps I should switch to Mobil 1 straight 30, however the I'm not using any oil between changes.

Zeroturner,
I use non-synthetic Castrol GTX 10w30. I have been using Castrol for 40 years and have had good luck (read, no bad luck:smile:).

I changed the oil and filter at about 7 hours and then again at the end of last season at about 35 hours. I will change both at the end of each season which is about every 35 hours. It's probably over-kill, but at worst I'm throwing away a little money to get some peace-of-mind.

Being really fanatical, I also changed the oil and filters for the hydro drives. I've been told that this was a total waste, but at least it made me feel better.....:laughing:.

Bruce

Lawn Addict
Threads
fwiw: The oils designed for auto use have to have a much lower Zinc content, to protect the catalytic converters on autos.
Zinc is very effective friction reducer..

There are oils designed for pre cat- converter autos that have much higher Zinc content..

PS: I have the Pre-Filter on my 4260 & it really helps..