Toro 4225 Timecutter Oil Drain Hose Difficult to Remove

rdgallo

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro 4225 Timecutter Oil Drain Hose Difficult to Remove
I have changed the oil twice in my Toro Timecutter and both times had a difficult time removing the rubber oil drain hose from its storage position to drain the oil. Do any of you have a method to make this easier? I ended up spraying it a little with WD40 at the top of the hose and that helped maybe a very small amount. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Oil Drian Hose.png

Born2Mow

Threads
This is a common issue, so you are not alone.

Let me begin by telling you what NOT to do. Don't get ham-fisted and try to force it. What will happen then is that you'll break off the spigot, and then you'll be buying a new cowling for your engine.

In my limited experience it's best to first twist the hose to break it free. When the hose is turning freely on the spigot, then you can gently pry it down with a screw driver. Not great I know, but it will do the deed.

Hope this helps.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A pair of pliers, twist and pull down at the same time.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Spray it down with penetrating lube. Probably some dry o-rings there sticking it in place.

Yeah, what sump pump do you guys use? That Briggs on looks pretty good.

Briggs & Stratton 5430K​

slomo

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Slomo, there are no O-rings, just 8” rubber hose, stored vertically.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What sump pump do you use?
The one my wholesalers sell me
The manual ones are cheap bought from boat shop rather than mower shops.
You really need the 4 liter or more ones because they will pump down far enough with 10 strokes to drain the sump while you do something else

Lawn Addict
Threads
After draining is completed, wipe the inner end of the drain hose end with high temp grease, lightly, then replace hose.
This will make next time easier off & on.

kggregory

Forum Newbie
Threads
Whatever you do (as stated in a response above) DONT force it by pulling! I tried twisting, and eventually pulled hard and sheered off the spigot. new cowling was 75 bucks after shipping. Also, the broken spigot was stuck in the hose with no way to remove it, and I couldn't get the other end off easily either, so I cut it off where it attaches to the engine figuring it is just a hose and I already need to order a cowling, how much could the hose be?!?!. lol. Whoops. $37 for the hose. And this brings me to my advice...
I ordered the replacement cowling, and went to the auto parts store to find the 3/8" 30R7 (your model may vary) fuel hose required. The hose was $2.15. Literally the same brand! You just need to slide the metal piece off the old one and onto the new one, cut to length, and there you go. So my advise - if it is stuck to the point where you feel like you are forcing it, cut the hose off and replace it with a non-toro hose. But FYI that spigot is plastic, so I suggest cutting it off below the spigot, then make a vertical cut up to it, then go with a shallow vertical cut over it and peel it off (if that makes sense).
I'm not an expert on equipment repair, but i signed up to post this hoping it saves one person from breaking the spigot. :) Cheers
EDIT***** I had the same problem again today, 2yrs later, and I found a very slight amount of WD40 at the top of the hose, and then using those really small flathead finger screwdriver (usually for working on electronics) to break the seal at the very top of the hose all the way around, and it will slide right off. I hope this helps someone!

Last edited: