Toro 4225 Timecutter Oil Drain Hose Difficult to Remove

DCwom

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro 4225 Timecutter Oil Drain Hose Difficult to Remove
Just broke mine today, 1st oil change after 5 hours, changed per the manual and even the Toro YouTube video that tells you to change oil on a hot engine that's been running for 5 minutes! Where were the lawyers on that? Needless to say I was pissed, but after some thought I think I have a better solution, I'm going to put a plug and a hose clamp on the hose (maybe a 16d nail or something for a plug). I don't think there is any oil pressure on the hose, I put it back in its holder and the end still is under the cowling and no oil is coming out. In theroy dirt could get into the drain hose and back into the engine, but I kind of doubt that. My only real concern would be if the hose somehow came out of its holder and you lost oil while in use, you'd never know it mowing.

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK you would know it mowing, when the engine locks up..

If you are gonna make a plug, my suggestion would be a bolt, the threads after clamping, can bite into it.

Last edited:

lisyounger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Whatever you do (as stated in a response above) DONT force it by pulling! I tried twisting, and eventually pulled hard and sheered off the spigot. new cowling was 75 bucks after shipping. Also, the broken spigot was stuck in the hose with no way to remove it, and I couldn't get the other end off easily either, so I cut it off where it attaches to the engine figuring it is just a hose and I already need to order a cowling, how much could the hose be?!?!. lol. Whoops. $37 for the hose. And this brings me to my advice...
I ordered the replacement cowling, and went to the auto parts store to find the 3/8" 30R7 (your model may vary) fuel hose required. The hose was $2.15. Literally the same brand! You just need to slide the metal piece off the old one and onto the new one, cut to length, and there you go. So my advise - if it is stuck to the point where you feel like you are forcing it, cut the hose off and replace it with a non-toro hose. But FYI that spigot is plastic, so I suggest cutting it off below the spigot, then make a vertical cut up to it, then go with a shallow vertical cut over it and peel it off (if that makes sense).
I'm not an expert on equipment repair, but i signed up to post this hoping it saves one person from breaking the spigot. :) Cheers
I thought I was being gentle enough but the drain line was pretty stuck. Didn't notice I sheared it off until attempting to reattach and not finding the "spigot". Huge bummer after only a few hours of use.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got the Briggs 4 liter oil sump sucker. Owning 6 mowers, that is the best tool ever. So much easier to change oil. Surprised here is lazy America that everyone doesn't own one.

slomo

lisyounger

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got the Briggs 4 liter oil sump sucker. Owning 6 mowers, that is the best tool ever. So much easier to change oil. Surprised here is lazy America that everyone doesn't own one.

slomo
Ahh! So I spoke with a Toro mechanic - it's covered under warranty...can either replace entire shroud (not the best option) or get the free solution (free shipping, free part, not free waste of your time but helpful mechanic!). The part is an oil drain service kit - in my case, #144-0976. The shroud is just a place holder and seals the line (keeps pressure in). The new hose comes with a blue cap, which makes so that you never have this problem again.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

slomo
oh cool, they even send a helper with it...?

lisyounger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Won't work on google. Need to go into the toro.com site, then go to parts, then through your model number, and then insert part number.

Mad@Toro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Searched Toro site parts put in the number suggested.Didn’t work for me

Mad@Toro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ridiculous I had to shell out $160 for my first oil change ($75 pickup and delivery fee). I am thinking about going the sump pump route tho I have never done it before so that will be additional expense. THANK YOU TORO!