timecutter hub grease zerts........

need-for-speed

Threads
Mine is an SS 4260, 2 years old. I'm pretty sure the (blade / rotor) hubs can't be greased. Has anyone ever drilled and tapped them and added grease zerts ?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mine is an SS 4260, 2 years old. I'm pretty sure the (blade / rotor) hubs can't be greased. Has anyone ever drilled and tapped them and added grease zerts ?

I don't think ti would do you any good to install grease fittings, there most likely seal bearings and can't be greased.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

Ok this has been a topic on here a lot.
I always buy my bearings at napa.

Was out citing grass with a mower I have not used in about a year it started making noise so went to get bearings at napa they did not have them and sent me DALTON BEARINGS. Couple miles down the road.

Got my six bearings and told the man I install grease fittings in all my spindles. Ha ha he said that's why you go threw bearings so fast.
So standing there looking like a fool a ask WHY.

The bearings are sealed now you put grease in the spindles ( if you put to much )
It pops the seals.
The spindles are not water tight and let in moisture and dust or small particles of dirt/sand
That mix with the grease and wear on the bearings.

Now I know someone will call bull crap
But this man is mister bearing so I will go by what he has told me.

Last week I would have told you yes fill it up full of grease. I would have been wrong.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cars, An interesting explantation and warning. We are still left with the alleged "part seal" or perhaps "shield seal" which can be and ?expects zerk lube. I am not experienced with tractors,but have asked the questions here about spindles and hubs. I have over the years pried away many sealed bearing shields cleaned, lubed the bearings and reassembled them. Not a big deal...e.g. alternators, motors, vacuum cleaners, generators...usually when they scream at me. There are some bearings with seals and metal shields which are like armor. A while back I asked for more information from two fine gentlemen on this forum who seemed expert, but did not reply. The more info we get the better. Motoman

PS. I wish your bearing man could explain how grease lifts out those seals as they must be pried out , but with only a little effort. I would think the injected grease would simply deflect and create a big glob in the housing, without lifting the seals. Maybe running amok with air pressure guns? Also how does a zerk let water in, not through the spring loaded ball?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a ATV that the rear hub had sealed bearings which would be the same set up as your spindles. This unit sees a lot of mud and water and the bearings had a short life span. What I did was to remove the inner seals and installed a grease fitting. I now keep the bearings full of grease and since I have done this I haven't had any more bearing problems. You would have to be careful not to blow out the outer seals when you grease it is all. Personally if it was my mower I would leave the sealed bearing alone and not worry about greasing them unless you are having a lot of bearing troubles.

need-for-speed

Threads
Ok this has been a topic on here a lot.
I always buy my bearings at napa.

Was out citing grass with a mower I have not used in about a year it started making noise so went to get bearings at napa they did not have them and sent me DALTON BEARINGS. Couple miles down the road.

Got my six bearings and told the man I install grease fittings in all my spindles. Ha ha he said that's why you go threw bearings so fast.
So standing there looking like a fool a ask WHY.

The bearings are sealed now you put grease in the spindles ( if you put to much )
It pops the seals.
The spindles are not water tight and let in moisture and dust or small particles of dirt/sand
That mix with the grease and wear on the bearings.

Now I know someone will call bull crap
But this man is mister bearing so I will go by what he has told me.

Last week I would have told you yes fill it up full of grease. I would have been wrong.

you post does make sense and that was my suspicion: pumping in grease can blow out the seal. Even when greasing the ball joints on my Camaro - I can see the excess grease ooze out.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cars, An interesting explantation and warning. We are still left with the alleged "part seal" or perhaps "shield seal" which can be and ?expects zerk lube. I am not experienced with tractors,but have asked the questions here about spindles and hubs. I have over the years pried away many sealed bearing shields cleaned, lubed the bearings and reassembled them. Not a big deal...e.g. alternators, motors, vacuum cleaners, generators...usually when they scream at me. There are some bearings with seals and metal shields which are like armor. A while back I asked for more information from two fine gentlemen on this forum who seemed expert, but did not reply. The more info we get the better. Motoman

PS. I wish your bearing man could explain how grease lifts out those seals as they must be pried out , but with only a little effort. I would think the injected grease would simply deflect and create a big glob in the housing, without lifting the seals. Maybe running amok with air pressure guns? Also how does a zerk let water in, not through the spring loaded ball?

I took a snap shot of your comment and will show it to him.

Water does not get in threw the zerk. It comes in around the bearing as most just sit in the spindle and not really pressed in.

need-for-speed

Threads
I have a ATV that the rear hub had sealed bearings which would be the same set up as your spindles. This unit sees a lot of mud and water and the bearings had a short life span. What I did was to remove the inner seals and installed a grease fitting. I now keep the bearings full of grease and since I have done this I haven't had any more bearing problems. You would have to be careful not to blow out the outer seals when you grease it is all. Personally if it was my mower I would leave the sealed bearing alone and not worry about greasing them unless you are having a lot of bearing troubles.

I agree and that is why I decided to ask. I am not having troubles. I know the JD mowers come with greasable bearings, so I thought I'd look into it.

Lots of great info here ! I wanted to see if others were adding zerts. Lookss like I'll just leave as is.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

On most my bearing the seal was gone so thinking I put to much grease.
Now after learning all that I have about bearings I will just leave mine the way the come.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
He gave me two cheap $5 bearings to do a test

Cub cadet gets $16 for this spindle bearing I got better ones at $25 each told him a wanted the medal seals not the rubber. He said no you don't the rubber seal ones will last longer because they won't let as much crap ( not his word) into the bearing.
So he gave me this cheap set they are both the same model number but the seals are different.
He wants me to put one on the top of one spindle and the other on the top of one other spindle to prove that I will replace the one with the metal seal twice before the one with the rubber seal.

He did say that the bearings that you get from cub cadet are a good bearing and worth the $16
This same bearing is used by MTD / AYP/ and yes junk Deere
Just about every riding mower has this bearing in there spindles.

If you have ever took apart a spindle and there is rust in there most times will be the spacer is poof that water and air get in to it.

image-4095881389.png