The frozen whelk thread

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I heated it up but not to cherry red. Are you talking about the outside of the wheel or the inside where the hub goes over the axel ? I only have cans a MAPP gas. How long does it take to get it to cherry red?
wont it ruin the tire?
Quench it with cold water? Won’t that explode in your face ? Lol
Not the whole rim,just the area around the axle. When you quench it, it goes from one extreme to the next, hot to cold, and that turns the rust to a powder.

jpokerwinski

Threads
Not the whole rim,just the area around the axle. When you quench it, it goes from one extreme to the next, hot to cold, and that turns the rust to a powder.

This guy was funny. I think I know him. So he just put a bolt in the shaft hole and heated the shit out of it and air hammered it off. I don’t have a acetylene torch . But I do have a Mapp. I don’t think Mapp would get it hot enough?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mapp. I don’t think Mapp would get it hot enough?
Mapp is no longer made. It's just a brand name now. Anyway it was only 50F hotter than propane. Not a big deal.

jpokerwinski

Threads
Mapp is no longer made. It's just a brand name now. Anyway it was only 50F hotter than propane. Not a big deal.
Well I have 2 bottles of mapped left over but I don’t think it’s hot enough to get the wheel red hot

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I heated it up but not to cherry red. Are you talking about the outside of the wheel or the inside where the hub goes over the axel ? I only have cans a MAPP gas. How long does it take to get it to cherry red?
wont it ruin the tire?
Quench it with cold water? Won’t that explode in your face ? Lol
DID you look at the video I went to the effort of posting a link to ?
from this reply I think not

sixbales

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many years ago, I had this same problem with a neighbor's John Deere Sabre mower. He wanted to change the tire. I don't recall exactly how I finally got it off, but it was a brutal job. I concluded that thereafter I would change the tire with the rim on the tractor. If your objective is to change or repair the tire, I recommend do the job with the rim on the tractor.

jpokerwinski

Threads
Many years ago, I had this same problem with a neighbor's John Deere Sabre mower. He wanted to change the tire. I don't recall exactly how I finally got it off, but it was a brutal job. I concluded that thereafter I would change the tire with the rim on the tractor. If your objective is to change or repair the tire, I recommend do the job with the rim on the tractor.
Well it is now become a matter of pride. Lol . I’m gonna wait until the mowing season is over and a friend will bring his oxy - acetylene torch over. Plan on heating up then cooling it down a few times . And if that doesn’t work I’m gonna cut that MF off.😂