The Daily Yardman Thread

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

I got real hot to trot over a neglected '84 Chevy pickup. Extremely solid body.
Came to terms with the owner and, with a fair amount of effort, got 'er runnin (been sittin' for a year or 2.)
All looked and sounded good til I revved the engine once and a large cloud of smoke/steam
rose up from the driver's side exhaust.
Looked under and found copious amounts of coolant runnin' off the bottom of the oil pan.
Most probably comin' out the back of the block; freeze plug or cracked block.
Freeze plug cheap part, loads of work.
Cracked block=new motor.
Some choices........

We are currently re-negotiating...............

It's always sumthun..............

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

I got real hot to trot over a neglected '84 Chevy pickup. Extremely solid body.
Came to terms with the owner and, with a fair amount of effort, got 'er runnin (been sittin' for a year or 2.)
All looked and sounded good til I revved the engine once and a large cloud of smoke/steam
rose up from the driver's side exhaust.
Looked under and found copious amounts of coolant runnin' off the bottom of the oil pan.
Most probably comin' out the back of the block; freeze plug or cracked block.
Freeze plug cheap part, loads of work.
Cracked block=new motor.
Some choices........

We are currently re-negotiating...............

It's always sumthun..............

Ever think of going to Confession and changin your ways ..?? .. :laughing:..:laughing:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

Loved my 85 Chevy K-20. Great landscaper and plow truck. Suspension was kinda stiff and beat me up a bit doing long snow plowing stints but I could hammer the crap out of that thing without hurting it. Real sheet metal (you could stand on the roof and hood), easy to work on, parts were cheap. Only real problem ever was the vacuum-activated choke which I had replaced with an electronic one. Well that and bent a rod but I was doing 80+ with a 3 speed auto and 4:10 rear rushing my son to the ER. Sadly it died of rust. The truck that is...son was fine. :smile:

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

My plow truck is my favorite and only gmc vehicle I own ......1993 Suburban with 8' western

IMG_5352.jpg
IMG_5351.jpg

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

I'm so good at snow plowing that I can stack snow at 120 mph!

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Loved my 85 Chevy K-20. Great landscaper and plow truck. Suspension was kinda stiff and beat me up a bit doing long snow plowing stints but I could hammer the crap out of that thing without hurting it. Real sheet metal (you could stand on the roof and hood), easy to work on, parts were cheap. Only real problem ever was the vacuum-activated choke which I had replaced with an electronic one. Well that and bent a rod but I was doing 80+ with a 3 speed auto and 4:10 rear rushing my son to the ER. Sadly it died of rust. The truck that is...son was fine. :smile:

There's about 1/2 mile between inner fenders and the motor pretty much sits all alone in the middle. You can practically
climb into the engine well and walk around the motor while working on it.
Sturdy body for sure!

We're gonna work it out somehow.
Think I'll call AAA to tow it home...about 2 miles.
Don't want to risk life or limb if truck not 100% road worthy.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

Yup, can camp out in the engine compartment in a pinch, lol.

I did go thru a few rebuilt NAPA brake master cylinders too. And the cover for them was always bent from people prying the bail up with a screwdriver. They just hit them with a wire brush and put a new gasket on. Problem is that they didn't seal and brake fluid would slosh out.