The Daily Yardman Thread

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

I will just stick to Polish and English, and a little German that I know, I know how to swear in Albanian

It's a good thing profanity is NOT allowed on the forum !!! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

OOOooooo eeeee !! Doc N Goomba, Looks like you guy's are in for treacherous driving conditions, and possible ice-downed tree's, I feel for ya's, be XTRA-XTRA careful, we like aggravating you guy's !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Views: 158,261

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Well another "cold" front movin through this mornin, back down to the 70s today, guess I better break-out the "long-john's" and parka ..AGAIN !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:
GOOD MORNING gang !! ..........Fw__Morning_coffee____(2).gif

18791b1416006eee6fe74a5304ad3b4a.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

...FROM ROGER.jpg...............image_02c.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

This might turn out to be a fun week after-all !!

CUTE SAYING.JPG

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
PAGE 344

I would like to dedicate this, our three-hundredth and forty-fourth page to the submarine I qualified aboard, the USS Cobbler SS-344. (Which by the way Bert-Man, was named for a killi-fish from New South Wales!)

On April 5, 1967, after nearly 9 months of relentless work studying piping books, electrical diagrams, and the numerous mechanical systems that are required to operate a diesel submarine, I was awarded my dolphins by Captain Alden Anderson. I had to prove that I was capable of operating nearly everything aboard that boat. That I could located every critical valve and switch in every compartment while completely blindfolded. That I could figure out how to operate systems that had failed with backup systems and then the failed backup systems with systems designed for totally different purposes!

Until you are qualified aboard submarines, you are considered a hazard to the boat and are referred to as an NQP - (Non-Qualified-Puke). You are not only expected to complete certain 'qual requirements' by a certain time, but you will be restricted to the boat anytime you become a "dinky non-qual" (someone who is behind in his qualification schedule). A non-qual gets zero slack and until he has those prized dolphins on his chest, is considered to be lower than whale schitt.

When the boat pulls into some port, all the recently qualified men who are not on duty that day, are mustered at the nearest bar, (usually a 'Submarine Bar" where only submarine sailors gather) - and in a grand ceremony - "Drink their Dolphins". Most Sub Bars had at least one huge container like a frappe cup, that would hold a minimum of a quart to half a gallon, into which your new shiny dolphins were dropped. Then every sub sailor in the bar would buy a shot of the worst booze the bar had to offer and if that didn't fill the container then it would be topped off with beer. The objective was to drink the contents and catch your dolphins in your teeth. Smart guys would let most of the contents pour by the sides of their mouth, but hard-liners would try to consume it all, which normally led to puking most of it back up so they didn't die! I was in the Mediterranean when I qualified and they have some truly nasty tasting booze over there.

The old girl is gone forever, but will always hold a place in the hearts of the men that served aboard her. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cobbler_(SS-344)

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

I tip my hat to You and the USS Cobbler

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Entering Malta Harbor 1967

Here's a picture of the USS Cobbler SS-344 as she entered the harbor at Malta in the Med.

As you can see in the back ground (Waves pounding up over the sea wall) it was not a peacefully calm Mediterranean day! I was very glad to pull into port that day..

Sorry guys, the picture was horizontal in my file, but came out vertical here. I don't know how to fix it.

Roger

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 6