The Daily Yardman Thread

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

I like to trust people.
However the insurance company does not.
They insisted on 2 cameras inside the workshop and 2 more out side ( ended up with 4 outside ) so the red roo story won't bounce.
For the time being I am switching to the Kanga, true, a Kanga loader with a GX 620 in there , which looks like it was put there first and the machine constructed around it.
Five hours latter the engine is out, save 1 mongrel ground wire which now I can not get at !!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Where are all the nice little old ladies who just want their blades changed ?

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

I like to trust people.
However the insurance company does not.
They insisted on 2 cameras inside the workshop and 2 more out side ( ended up with 4 outside ) so the red roo story won't bounce.
For the time being I am switching to the Kanga, true, a Kanga loader with a GX 620 in there , which looks like it was put there first and the machine constructed around it.
Five hours latter the engine is out, save 1 mongrel ground wire which now I can not get at !!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Where are all the nice little old ladies who just want their blades changed ?
I have had a few cummins engines that were like that, street sweepers are a nightmare to work on......it would take 5 hours just to find the engine, let alone pop it out. There would always be a pile of parts to the right of me that would resemble a scrap yard run:laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

And will you blokes stop with the Bert worship on the forum.
The posters can decide which advice to take .
It is just starting to look a bit closed shop clique and I can ( and have been ) just as wrong as any one else .
AS I said before a post should live or die on the quality of the information in it not upon others praising it.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

And will you blokes stop with the Bert worship on the forum.
The posters can decide which advice to take .
It is just starting to look a bit closed shop clique and I can ( and have been ) just as wrong as any one else .
AS I said before a post should live or die on the quality of the information in it not upon others praising it.

you are gonna hurt Boo's feelings Bert, he has already started a GoFundMe page for your worship hall here in the states

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

you are gonna hurt Boo's feelings Bert, he has already started a GoFundMe page for your worship hall here in the states

Some guys just can't take criticism, some just can't take praise, Bert ...if the shoe fits, WEAR IT !! :thumbsup:

Pumper54

Threads

Close,
What he has done to NOT fix the concrete saw and what I can do to fix it.
I can only charge the customer a quotation fee if I can not fix it ( $ 120 max ) and I have sunk $ 300 into it already in parts.

This is a wild shot in the dark but do you have any way to pressure test spark plugs? I have a friend who built his own airplane (he is fully qualified to do so) and he said his engine would start and run then start missing on one cylinder. Turns out he had a spark plug that was broken inside. He found this out by using a device that tests the spark plugs while under pressure. He screwed the plug into the machine, added air pressure to the cylinder like the engine would and wham the plug failed. Like I said just a wild thought.

sorta what he used but his was way older: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1av7M70A3t8

Tom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Some guys just can't take criticism, some just can't take praise, Bert ...if the shoe fits, WEAR IT !! :thumbsup:

I stopped posting and eventually even visiting the "My Mower" forum because of just this.
Some one posts the 25 chime in with a howdy doodie another 12 post don't worry "XYZ " will be here soon then way way done the bottom some one tries to answer, who is not XYZ and they get churley.
There are lots of excellent techs on here many of which I respect their opinions and in particular experience way more than me.

As for the K970, there are 4 versions of it.
When I got it first, it started easy cold then when warmed, ran weakly up to about 5000 rpm then stalled out rich ( confirmed with the colortune )
So first order was a carb kit.
Carb kit back on and adjusted according to Walbro and it was difficult to start then once warmed up I tried to set it to 9500 and the electric tacho was all over the shop.
Pulled the kill wire off , and the same thing so diagnosed a dud module
New module fitted and now it starts really well, runs strongly to 7500 then stops dead.
Will restart right away and repeat the performance so me though the module ( $ 195 down here ) has a limiter on it.
A week of running up expensive phone calls to Husqvarna USA put pays to that idea.
So out with the pressure / vacuum gages. Carb checks out fine but tank is iffy so out with the carb again ( 90 minute job ) and replace the primer.
Tank holds 7 psi. carb held 7 psi for over 1 hour
Compression is only 90 psi but this piece of #*&!! has a 2.5" bore and only a 1.5" stroke so is way over square.
Muffler has been off. bore is clean, rings ( 2 of them ) are clean and muffler is clean, piston crown is clean
There is a check valve down stream of the primer which checks the same way as the primer that was not totally closing off so I have ordered a new one, but there is no info about it and only 1 out of the 4 has it.
The fuel filter was a porex type and broken so initally I put a ZF 3 in there which is the biggest hand held filter I keep.
On the off chance it was not flowing enough I bought in an OEM porex one ( $ 15 ) and wile the fuel line was out pressure tested it to 10 PSI which it held for over 1 hour.
The line from the carb to the primer was touch hard so it got replaced with heavy walled Tygon suction tube.
While th carb was out for the 10th time I checked it again for both pressure & vacuum and it works perfectly, I can even pull a vaccuum using the primer bulb although it takes a week and just for the heck of it I hooked up the return line to the pressure pump and used the primer to pump it up to 7 psi.
The only thing I have not done to date is a primary pressure & vaccuum test and that is simply because this !*#!!! has a baffle in the inlet manifold so you have to block the cylinder off with a custom made plate and a clamp, after removing the engine completely as the inlet manifold actually holds the engine into the case and that means dissasembly of the drive belt and removal of both the flywheel & clutch.
And yes the carb was cleaned in the ultrasound 3 times @ 1/2 hour each and it works beautifully all orrifices flow fuel properly which I have tested using one of those old blower paint guns.

So if any one else has ideas while I wait for the check valve to materialize I am all ears.

primerbulb120

Lawn Addict
Threads

I am not entirely clear on what the saw is doing now, but I do have some questions:

1. Is your intake gasket (between carb and manifold) installed correctly?

2. New spark plug?

3. Fuel tank venting properly?

4. Have you tried disconnecting the kill wire on the new ignition coil? You might have a bad stop switch or wiring.

4. Is the saw trying to un-tune itself (carb screws turning from vibration?)

5. Have you put the Colortune on it again to see what it's doing now? If so, what are the results?

6. If you put a neon spark tester on it, what are the results?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Still no luck with a service manual yet, can't believe this is also considered a RESCUE-SAW model, and there's nothing but the owners guide available. :confused2:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

I stopped posting and eventually even visiting the "My Mower" forum because of just this.
Some one posts the 25 chime in with a howdy doodie another 12 post don't worry "XYZ " will be here soon then way way done the bottom some one tries to answer, who is not XYZ and they get churley.
There are lots of excellent techs on here many of which I respect their opinions and in particular experience way more than me.

As for the K970, there are 4 versions of it.
When I got it first, it started easy cold then when warmed, ran weakly up to about 5000 rpm then stalled out rich ( confirmed with the colortune )
So first order was a carb kit.
Carb kit back on and adjusted according to Walbro and it was difficult to start then once warmed up I tried to set it to 9500 and the electric tacho was all over the shop.
Pulled the kill wire off , and the same thing so diagnosed a dud module
New module fitted and now it starts really well, runs strongly to 7500 then stops dead.
Will restart right away and repeat the performance so me though the module ( $ 195 down here ) has a limiter on it.
A week of running up expensive phone calls to Husqvarna USA put pays to that idea.
So out with the pressure / vacuum gages. Carb checks out fine but tank is iffy so out with the carb again ( 90 minute job ) and replace the primer.
Tank holds 7 psi. carb held 7 psi for over 1 hour
Compression is only 90 psi but this piece of #*&!! has a 2.5" bore and only a 1.5" stroke so is way over square.
Muffler has been off. bore is clean, rings ( 2 of them ) are clean and muffler is clean, piston crown is clean
There is a check valve down stream of the primer which checks the same way as the primer that was not totally closing off so I have ordered a new one, but there is no info about it and only 1 out of the 4 has it.
The fuel filter was a porex type and broken so initally I put a ZF 3 in there which is the biggest hand held filter I keep.
On the off chance it was not flowing enough I bought in an OEM porex one ( $ 15 ) and wile the fuel line was out pressure tested it to 10 PSI which it held for over 1 hour.
The line from the carb to the primer was touch hard so it got replaced with heavy walled Tygon suction tube.
While th carb was out for the 10th time I checked it again for both pressure & vacuum and it works perfectly, I can even pull a vaccuum using the primer bulb although it takes a week and just for the heck of it I hooked up the return line to the pressure pump and used the primer to pump it up to 7 psi.
The only thing I have not done to date is a primary pressure & vaccuum test and that is simply because this !*#!!! has a baffle in the inlet manifold so you have to block the cylinder off with a custom made plate and a clamp, after removing the engine completely as the inlet manifold actually holds the engine into the case and that means dissasembly of the drive belt and removal of both the flywheel & clutch.
And yes the carb was cleaned in the ultrasound 3 times @ 1/2 hour each and it works beautifully all orrifices flow fuel properly which I have tested using one of those old blower paint guns.

So if any one else has ideas while I wait for the check valve to materialize I am all ears.

Didn't mean to piss ya off Bert, SORRY for my ignorance, only trying to help, I deleted the post .... Boobala