Synthetic oil or not?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take a step back Bange.
This is the LAWNMOWER forum not the Formula 1 forum
Most mower engines specify monogrades
A lot of B & S push mower engines sold down here have a warning sticker that says"Use of multigrade oil voids warranty" on the side near the dip stick tube.
I think some of the EFI engines may specify synthetics to protect various engine sensors but I don't do EFI engines .

Bange

Threads
Oops! My English is not very good, but I don't remember where I left the impression that I'm a fan of some type of oil... I passed on my knowledge about it, reinforcing that the best oil is the one indicated by the machine manufacturer, always. Tell me where I left that impression.

upupandaway

Threads
Or the one with the most words and brightest colors on the bottle.
You are looking in the wrong place. You need to watch which company makes the best commercial with the coolest looking engine in them. THAT will get you the super duper bestest oil...

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Or has the best looking, scantily-clad bimbo.
We already know how you make up your mind on which oil to purchase....

t3609.gif

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
We already know how you make up your mind on which oil to purchase....

t3609.gif
Nothing wrong with marketing with bimbos. I miss the tool company calendars from the 70's
One of the best was from a tool truck called Service Tools. Their slogan was "Get your nuts off with service tools" with a non-clothed young lass straddleing a big wrench on the cover of their calendar. Ah, the good old days.

Bange

Threads
My friends, are you joking or off topic...
An oil must not be used for marketing media, labels or personal prints.
Oils are manufactured and classified by worldwide accreditation bodies and when stamped with a classification (SAE, API, ISO, ILSAC...), it is because they have fulfilled a technical assessment package, measurable and reproducible, within the same criteria (no particular impressions).
Nothing prohibits oil manufacturers from saying that theirs is more evolved due to some agent or product within the formulation and using this as a marketing "advantage" and getting more profit, but it's no use for standardized analysis by accreditation bodies, it's a “plus” and the evaluation is at the sole discretion of the client, whose effectiveness or proof has no technical or scientific basis.
The fact is that, for example, all oil classified as SAE 15W30 API SN, regardless of whether the manufacturer says it has this or that extra, fulfills the same function within the evaluation and test package.
Engine manufacturers, when they indicate in the manual the use of an oil, do so because they have tested and proved the efficiency of their engine... some even indicate a specific brand or even label the oil bottle (which is not their manufacture) with your logo ... in this case my logic is that there was a commercial agreement between these parties or actually that "plus" said by the manufacturer, it makes a lot of difference ... conclude as you want.

To objectively answer the question asked at the beginning and considering the various variations in world temperature (remember that this forum is not specific to a country or region), I say that neither mineral, nor semi-synthetic nor synthetic (by option), oil it must be the one indicated by the manufacturer according to the temperature of the working region of the machine.
If the manufacturer's indication allows for some modernity (modernity equals API > SG, SH ... SP), and this changes from mineral to synthetic, then the choice can be made ... but without the change viscosity (SAE) or frequency is changed unless the manufacturer declares this in writing.
In the event that a certain oil is no longer found or manufactured because it has become obsolete, the engine manufacturer must comment on the matter... but it may be exempt due to the age of the machine (in my country, car manufacturers are exempt from any information or supply of parts after 10 years from the end of the manufacture of an engine). In this case, the recommendation is to use an oil of the same viscosity (SAE), with modernity (API) immediately following.
Ex.:
SAE 30 API SF (not found anymore), replace with SAE 30 API SG
SAE 20W50 SJ (not found anymore), replace with SAE 20W50 API SL.

Tabela de óleo.jpg
In the table above, whose engine manufacturer is B&S, the recommended oil has a viscosity of 30, which can be semi-synthetic, synthetic or mineral, according to the oil manufacturer.
Can anyone be used? Yes, the manufacturer itself indicates.
However, the manufacturer makes observations regarding ambient working temperatures, consumption and when the API modernity (SF, SG, SH, SH or higher).
If the operation is in a region from -30 to +5°C, the indication is by SAE 5W30... if SAE 30 is used in this same region, the user will be contradicting the manufacturer's indication and serious damages may occur to the machine ... The opposite is also true.
If the working range is between -15 and 30°C, both the SAE 10W30 and the SAE 5W30 (synthetic) can be used, but the operation beyond 27°C with the SAE 10W30 may lead to higher consumption and it advises checking most frequently.
Therefore, however passion one has for a type of oil, the facts and data contradict this position.

Last edited: