Substitue for Kohler spark plug

TobyU

Threads
I've been using dcpr6e ngk stock number 3481 since these engines came out.

Threads
The Kohler spark plug the XT6 series engines take is a Kohler #14 132 11-S1. When I go to my various local auto parts stores they do not carry Kohler branded plugs.....they come up with a slew of substitutions. I don't mind a substitute if it is basically the same specs, heat range included. I know stores will x-ref to plugs with the same threads and basic physical size but other features may be different.

My on line research shows a few people are using as a substitute the following two plugs:
Champion RA8HC
NGK DCPR6E

From the part number you can see the heat ranges are different. One is an 8 while the other is a 6.

Can anyone confirm if one of these substitute spark plugs are direct replacements or do you know of another that is a direct replacement for this Kohler speced plug? Thanks.
RA8HC definitely works. I use them to replace 14 132 11-S1 about 20 times per year for my customers. Never had a problem. I always have them in my inventory.

kbowley

Threads
I use the Champion Copper RA8HC, I never have any issues with good 'ol Champion copper plugs. The part number is Champion 810 for parts stores. Why in God's green earth Kohler had to produce an engine with an oddball plug is beyond me. Virtually all OHV engines use the Champion 71 (RC12YC) plug.

Auto Doc's

Threads
I use the Champion Copper RA8HC, I never have any issues with good 'ol Champion copper plugs. The part number is Champion 810 for parts stores. Why in God's green earth Kohler had to produce an engine with an oddball plug is beyond me. Virtually all OHV engines use the Champion 71 (RC12YC) plug.
They do it to sell more products.

TobyU

Threads
And post #8:

👍
Because we don't put an overpriced plug into an engine that is not giving us any higher quality for that price.
In fact it gives us extra aggravation due to the non standard size.
I refuse to use them - just because I can.

Auto Doc's

Threads
The Kohler spark plug the XT6 series engines take is a Kohler #14 132 11-S1. When I go to my various local auto parts stores they do not carry Kohler branded plugs.....they come up with a slew of substitutions. I don't mind a substitute if it is basically the same specs, heat range included. I know stores will x-ref to plugs with the same threads and basic physical size but other features may be different.

My on line research shows a few people are using as a substitute the following two plugs:
Champion RA8HC
NGK DCPR6E

From the part number you can see the heat ranges are different. One is an 8 while the other is a 6.

Can anyone confirm if one of these substitute spark plugs are direct replacements or do you know of another that is a direct replacement for this Kohler speced plug? Thanks.
I've always trusted Champion, but I have to search the number myself because parts people think they are all the same, so they just sell you the first one they grab that is packaged as a "lawnmower spark plug".

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I've always trusted Champion, but I have to search the number myself because parts people think they are all the same, so they just sell you the first one they grab that is packaged as a "lawnmower spark plug".
Don't get me started on Champion plugs. Lets just say the best place for a Champion plug is the bottom of the dumpster. Those things have cost me more fustration and expense over the years than any other branded plug including the dreaded Torch.

Auto Doc's

Threads
Hello ILENGINE,

I agree with you when it comes to most automotive applications, but I just have not had issues with Champion on the small engine stuff.

It's for sure most resistor plugs are worthless if they have been dropped on a concrete floor or mishandled, because the barrel resistor inside the porcelain gets cracked. Drop a couple of known good old ones or new ones and then test the resistance (before and after) with an Ohm meter.

Kohler does not actually manufacturer their spark plugs, but it is hard to track down who does. I suspect NTK/NGK makes them under a private label agreement contract.

Many filters, oils, plugs and other parts are made this way for most assembly plants and manufacturers.