Substitue for Kohler spark plug

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hello ILENGINE,

I agree with you when it comes to most automotive applications, but I just have not had issues with Champion on the small engine stuff.

It's for sure most resistor plugs are worthless if they have been dropped on a concrete floor or mishandled, because the barrel resistor inside the porcelain gets cracked. Drop a couple of known good old ones or new ones and then test the resistance (before and after) with an Ohm meter.

Kohler does not actually manufacturer their spark plugs, but it is hard to track down who does. I suspect NTK/NGK makes them under a private label agreement contract.

Many filters, oils, plugs and other parts are made this way for most assembly plants and manufacturers.
I used Champion exclusively up until I had a shop pack of J19LM plugs stop sparking after running in several different engines for as little as 3 minutes. Put 5 plugs in the same mower one day, and then had to replace it two days after the customer pickup up the mower because it died while mowing.

Just had issues last summer with Champion plugs in a Kawasaki engine. Had to attempt to use Champion because NGK were not available and all 4 plugs I tried in that engine would not restart hot. They would work after cooling off, the original NGK that I took out didn't give those issues, as well as a different NGK heat range plug that I also tried.

Auto Doc's

Threads
I used Champion exclusively up until I had a shop pack of J19LM plugs stop sparking after running in several different engines for as little as 3 minutes. Put 5 plugs in the same mower one day, and then had to replace it two days after the customer pickup up the mower because it died while mowing.

Just had issues last summer with Champion plugs in a Kawasaki engine. Had to attempt to use Champion because NGK were not available and all 4 plugs I tried in that engine would not restart hot. They would work after cooling off, the original NGK that I took out didn't give those issues, as well as a different NGK heat range plug that I also tried.
I don't use the J19LM plugs very often because the heat range is so high.

Going old school, I normally run and engine 15 minutes or so (high RPM under load), pull out the plug(s) and expect to see a very faint light tan appearance on the electrode porcelain.

I have found high heat ranges are usually better for cold weather and rich fuel conditions.

Down here in TX, usually a "12" or "14" heat range holds up much better.

Most manufacturers have gone up on heat ranges in past years to appease the EPA types that want to do away with all gas small engines. The theory is a "hotter plug" is supposed to be more combustion efficient. Unfortunately, hotter combustion temperatures also result in eventual combustion chamber and valve damage.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess i am lucky. I put in close to 100 plugs a year most of which are champion. Haven't seen any failed plugs

nbpt100

Threads
I have been reading on various boards that some people have recently had problems with Champions. I never had. But I do not change 100 plugs a year. I wonder if they are getting counterfeit plugs. I buy all of my plugs from a local auto parts store not on the internet.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
There was an article i read on the internet (must be true) that most of the plugs on amazon are counterfeit. I get my plugs from stens and another reputable online source. Took a plug out of a honda once that i was pretty sure was a counterfeit NGK.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There was an article i read on the internet (must be true) that most of the plugs on amazon are counterfeit. I get my plugs from stens and another reputable online source. Took a plug out of a honda once that i was pretty sure was a counterfeit NGK.
Get my plugs from either my MTD, Briggs,or Kohler distributors with an occasional one from Stens.