Substitue for Kohler spark plug

Auto Doc's

Threads
Why not go online and do a search, purchase a couple to keep on hand?

edporch

Threads
Thanks! I try to stay with the brand that makes the plug for the Engine manufacturer. It has become obvious to me that Champion makes the plugs for Briggs. Not sure about Kohler. I would lean towards NGK. But I do not know. Anyone out there know for sure?
I always use NGK anymore for everything.
I have a 23hp twin cylinder Kohler and I used NGK Iridium last time I changed the plugs, and they've worked great for several years now.

AnyameIwish

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use this site to cross refference plugs https://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/
Note that heat ranges overlap.
Champions tend to be coarser than NGK's

Other than that there are a lot of charts on the web comparing the heat ranges of different plugs.
The Stens & Prime Line web pages both have charts of spark plug applications.

All of the spark plug companies have decoding tables so you can work out what all the letters & numbers mean.
"There are 156 replacement spark plugs for Champion RA8HC. The cross references are for general reference only, please check for correct specifications and measurements for your application. When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include Amazon Associates."

Wow! Too many choices for this old fart.

What's that mean "coarser?" How is it relevant to the selection decision?

AtRo Racing

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Kohler spark plug the XT6 series engines take is a Kohler #14 132 11-S1. When I go to my various local auto parts stores they do not carry Kohler branded plugs.....they come up with a slew of substitutions. I don't mind a substitute if it is basically the same specs, heat range included. I know stores will x-ref to plugs with the same threads and basic physical size but other features may be different.

My on line research shows a few people are using as a substitute the following two plugs:
Champion RA8HC
NGK DCPR6E

From the part number you can see the heat ranges are different. One is an 8 while the other is a 6.

Can anyone confirm if one of these substitute spark plugs are direct replacements or do you know of another that is a direct replacement for this Kohler speced plug? Thanks.
You can buy OEM Kohler 14 132 11-S1 spark plugs from amazon.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Flip a coin.
Champion likely makes the Kohler plug.

TobyU

Threads
Use whichever one you like. Frankly, heat range makes little to no difference on these engines.
You will notice that Honda takes the same 140 and 160 engine and some come with a BPR6Es and others come with a bpr5es which is one heat range hotter.
I think I looked up one time and found that one was technically expect for the pressure washers and one was for the lawn mowers but nothing about ANY of that makes sense.

It is very similar to the fact they spec a 10W30 oil for all of their outdoor power equipment that's not a snow blower or something super cold just so they can have uniform I guess or just because it's simpler and easier.
There is absolutely nothing about their engines that would require a multi-weight oil and in fact most of your HD 30 oils would offer better protection if you were to actually test these engines under hot and extreme conditions and then take them apart and look for scuffing marks on the cylinder and especially the piston skirts.
But in reality this would be a waste too because as long as these engines have oil in them none of these tiny wear or scratches etc usually even form and they never cause a problem anyway.
It's just like people wanting to put synthetic oil in their lawn mower because it makes them feel better!
Their mower doesn't need it.
These things can run 40 years on a standard 30 weight oil so it's absurd to spend more money for a synthetic but as I said, it makes them feel better.

I've been using 30 weight oil in Hondas for decades and I use whatever plug crosses to whatever else.

I can't stand the color plug because it uses the 18 mm hex head which is completely STUPID!!!
I will take them out and throw them away just because I don't like the size socket that fits them.
Luckily, all the other ones that cross to it will use a 5/8 which is what they're supposed to have for an overhead valve engine like this.
This is the way it is and this is the way it shall be.
I also can't stand the more recent string trimmers and blowers with that tiny threaded plug.
Again, it's completely stupid and doesn't help anything.

TobyU

Threads
You can buy OEM Kohler 14 132 11-S1 spark plugs from amazon.
Yes but I wouldn't have a Kohler plug in my engine even if it is an XT series engine because they use the wrong size hex head! Lol
That was an absolute arrogant, jerk move on their end.

SF_StihlZT

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Kohler spark plug the XT6 series engines take is a Kohler #14 132 11-S1. When I go to my various local auto parts stores they do not carry Kohler branded plugs.....they come up with a slew of substitutions. I don't mind a substitute if it is basically the same specs, heat range included. I know stores will x-ref to plugs with the same threads and basic physical size but other features may be different.

My on line research shows a few people are using as a substitute the following two plugs:
Champion RA8HC
NGK DCPR6E

From the part number you can see the heat ranges are different. One is an 8 while the other is a 6.

Can anyone confirm if one of these substitute spark plugs are direct replacements or do you know of another that is a direct replacement for this Kohler speced plug? Thanks

SF_StihlZT

Forum Newbie
Threads

Champion RA8HC
NGK DCPR6E

Can anyone confirm if one of these substitute spark plugs are direct replacements or do you know of another that is a direct replacement for this Kohler speced plug? Thanks.