Stihl Vs. Echo

A_tank96

Threads
Not sure if this is the right place or not....

Hello,

I have a Stihl Fs 45 trimmer. I have a very small mowing business that I run myself. I only do about 6 yards, and each of them is so small that I probably mow only about an Acre for all the yards. My stihl has worked fine, but every once in awhile, it will run weird. Usually starts up, but sometimes it quits, and it seems really tempermental. I hardly do any maintenance on it, I don't even know the right stuff to replace. I do maintenance on all my mowers, but not the trimmer very much.

So I would like to get a new trimmer, and then the Old one can be the backup. Right now I don't have a backup, and it's very stressful when the FS45 goes down. My top two choices are going to be Echo and Stihl. Echo seems like it's a good trimmer, and Stihl seems like it's a little bit overpriced. I know mine has done very well, It's a 8 year old residential trimmer I use commercially, but I don't know which brand to get. My budget is about 280, and that's if the trimmer last darn near forever. I'd rather spend around 250 or 200. I have a Stihl dealer that I really like pretty close to me, but I would rather do maintenance myself. I like that Echo has their repower kit with the air filter and sparkplug and fuel filter. I also like that they have lots of accessories and trimmer line and stuff at Home depot.

So the question is, Stihl or Echo?

Comments? Experience?

Thanks so much

A_tank96

Threads
Personally I would go with an Echo, but that's just me. I love my SRM-225 but you might want to look into the 230. :thumbsup:

A_tank96

Threads
Personally I would go with an Echo, but that's just me. I love my SRM-225 but you might want to look into the 230. :thumbsup:

How much have you used your SRM? And have you repowered or done any maintenance? Is it easy to access parts?

A_tank96

Threads
How much have you used your SRM? And have you repowered or done any maintenance? Is it easy to access parts?

A_tank96

I use it more than you would and it has held up great. I have not needed to repower it or do any maintenance...at all!

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads

A_tank96

Mine takes a retarded amount of abuse. It probably averages 4 or 5 hours a day 5 days a week. Cutting anything from grass to weedy field areas. Maintenance for me has only been new plug 2 dollars new air filter 3 dollars new fuel filter 1 dollar new air breather 1 dollar. I have run this hard for 2 years no problems sometimes when it gets really hot out 95 degrees plus it takes a few pulls to get started.

I think I am going to buy a new head I have worn the one that's on there down pretty bad oh ya I've cleaned the carbon out of the exhaust twice. Parts are super easy lots of echo dealers out there. Lots of internet catalogs. Even home depot carries some stuff.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not sure if this is the right place or not....

Hello,

I have a Stihl Fs 45 trimmer. I have a very small mowing business that I run myself. I only do about 6 yards, and each of them is so small that I probably mow only about an Acre for all the yards. My stihl has worked fine, but every once in awhile, it will run weird. Usually starts up, but sometimes it quits, and it seems really tempermental. I hardly do any maintenance on it, I don't even know the right stuff to replace. I do maintenance on all my mowers, but not the trimmer very much.

So I would like to get a new trimmer, and then the Old one can be the backup. Right now I don't have a backup, and it's very stressful when the FS45 goes down. My top two choices are going to be Echo and Stihl. Echo seems like it's a good trimmer, and Stihl seems like it's a little bit overpriced. I know mine has done very well, It's a 8 year old residential trimmer I use commercially, but I don't know which brand to get. My budget is about 280, and that's if the trimmer last darn near forever. I'd rather spend around 250 or 200. I have a Stihl dealer that I really like pretty close to me, but I would rather do maintenance myself. I like that Echo has their repower kit with the air filter and sparkplug and fuel filter. I also like that they have lots of accessories and trimmer line and stuff at Home depot.

So the question is, Stihl or Echo?

Comments? Experience?

Thanks so much

A_tank96

I know the Echo fans are saying buy Echo but you will have the same problem with the Echo as the Stihl if you don't preform the maintenance required to keep it running. If you buy and replace the air filter and spark-plug and fuel filter and clean the spark arresting screen on the Stihl your Stihl should preform as good as new and if you want a back up and your happy with your Stihl buy another Stihl Fs 45 that way you cut down on any parts you will need in the future. Every different brand of equipment you buy is going to effect your bottom line or how much money you net at the end of the year. The thing is if you stop using every trimmer, blower, chainsaw etc. you buy because it runs weird or temper-mental you may as well shut down your business now if not you'll go broke.

A_tank96

Threads
Thanks for all the replies...

exotion what model is your echo?

And Rick do you have a certain place that you buy parts for your Stihl's? Your dealer? I'm kind of leaning toward the Echo right now, mostly because I don't want to take my trimmer places to do maintenance, and I don't even see a parts section on the Stihl website.

A_tank96

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for all the replies...

exotion what model is your echo?

And Rick do you have a certain place that you buy parts for your Stihl's? Your dealer? I'm kind of leaning toward the Echo right now, mostly because I don't want to take my trimmer places to do maintenance, and I don't even see a parts section on the Stihl website.

A_tank96

You don't have to take your trimmer anyplace to have maintenance done, you can do it yourself. You can go to any dealer who sells Stihl and buy what you need same as Echo. Working on either the Stihl or Echo is simple. The things like replacing plugs, air filters, gas filters and cleaning spark arresting screens is a simple procedure which regardless of what type of trimmer you buy is going to have to be done to keep it running correctly. The first thing I would do if I were you would be to go to the dealer and get the NGK-BPMR7A spark plug and replace the one in your machine.

Bacon8r

Threads
Just my opinion, but my stihl is a lot easier to maintain than the echo. It seems like the echo's fuel lines crack, slip off and just are not up to stihl standards. My recommendation is look for a used stihl. Preferably from a homeowner who you know does not use it much because in my opinion stihl lasts a lot longer. Plus the 4 mix engines they have on the fs 90 and above sound cooler, thought they have a little different torque characteristics than a pure 2 cycle. 4 mix means that you stil mix the oil and gas, but the unit has valves, giving you the best of both worlds. Go with the stihl and you will be much more pleased.