Stihl 034 Second Opinion

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Need 2nd on my Stihl 034 on if its crank bearings or something else. Been having issues with pulling the rope on a cold start. Its hard to pull unless I stick my foot in the opening where the trigger is to brace it. When its being pulled is makes a cracking sound. Then after 5-6 times it pulls normal. I took recoil starter off and it pulls out fine when off of saw. I can turn the flywheel by hand but its tight at first like something is sticking. I described this same issue to friend thats been in the business longer than I have and he saying its crank bearings need replaced.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you try taking off the recoil and the spark plug then turning by hand you should be able to feel bad crankshaft bearings -- at least if they're really bad. Anything that's not smooth isn't good

That's a good saw... I hope this works out.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you try taking off the recoil and the spark plug then turning by hand you should be able to feel bad crankshaft bearings -- at least if they're really bad. Anything that's not smooth isn't good

That's a good saw... I hope this works out.

Everything turns smooth when doing that.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
My best guess is some issue with how the recoil is fitting onto the powerhead.

There is a Stihl forum on this website. Someone there probably knows a lot more than I do. :ashamed:

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know it only does it when pulling the rope all the way out when trying to start it. If I only pull rope out 4-6in to bump it over it doesnt do the cracking sound or hard to pull.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looked at this issue. Flywheel will turn freely by hand. I finally got it to hang up in the recoil while recoil was off when pulling string out and letting it back in. Now it I hear something rubbing on the starter pulley. It sounds like someone ran there finger nails down chalk board.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
Just a Note Stihl recommends a 30:1 mix in these saw just a side note :thumbsup::thumbsup: