Solenoid replaced twice now replacing the third.

mc_harley

Threads
Thanx Gregjo1948,
I am familiar with that but it is not an OHV engine, the valves cannot be adjusted. This is defenitiv a burned through solenoid. I replaced it today and the mower is running great now. If you like to see what model of mower it is, see my album.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As in my first post we talked about the solenoid. And then other post brought up other things. It just seems to me as I have seen in pass repairs if the engine turns over hard or a bad starter that the starter labors and its very noticeable.

mc_harley

Threads
Well, the engine off the Stiga doesn't turn over hard, as soon as I had change the solenoid it turns over fast and start at once. But I can also tell now that I had a phonecall a few hours ago that the third solenoid had burned through within half an hour. Now I am at the end and I have to waint for genius that can help me with an idea.:confused2:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, you will have to help us a tad more over here.... Post your engine's and your mower's full set of model numbers, put up some pics of the battery and solenoid, and go back into more detail.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, the engine off the Stiga doesn't turn over hard, as soon as I had change the solenoid it turns over fast and start at once. But I can also tell now that I had a phonecall a few hours ago that the third solenoid had burned through within half an hour. Now I am at the end and I have to waint for genius that can help me with an idea.:confused2:

It takes no genius to check your amperage draw. There are a couple of different gages to test this with. One of them clamps over the wire and the other hooks into the battery cable in a series. High Amperage is the only thing that is burning up the solenoid. A solenoid is just a HD switch and if there is too much draw on it will burn up the points in the switch. I would guess if you don't want to test just replace the starter if the cable is OK.. I always like to know what is wrong before I replace parts it can be a lot cheaper. You do have the right battery hooked up right? I just had a customer come in with his battery hooked up backwards and the electrical system was doing a lot of weird things. We are many miles away so it just a guessing thing for me. With very high amperage it also seems like the battery cables would get warm, maybe 8 or 6 gage cables?

mc_harley

Threads
Hello,i
I had a bad night, not sleeping just thinking. This morning I think I got the Holy Spirit. I'm going this morning to see if I'm right and than I will tell you.

gregjo1948

Threads
Maybe your regulator is faulty, allowing too high voltage to battery and then to the solenoid, causing burn out. gregjo1948

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked for voltage at the small terminal on the solenoid, from the key switch, while the engine is running? It should be 0. If you have any voltage it is an indication that the key switch is bad. Voltage going through the solenoid while the engine is running will burn out the engagement coil. The only place you should have voltage on the solenoid while the engine is running, is the large terminal coming from the battery.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you checked for voltage at the small terminal on the solenoid, from the key switch, while the engine is running? It should be 0. If you have any voltage it is an indication that the key switch is bad. Voltage going through the solenoid while the engine is running will burn out the engagement coil. The only place you should have voltage on the solenoid while the engine is running, is the large terminal coming from the battery.

That is also a good idea, never thought of that. They do make a solenoid for constant voltage to it but not a starter solenoid.

mc_harley

Threads
Hi guys,
First thank you for your help. I found the problem. This morning I went back with an idea and it was exactly like I thought. The last owner must have changed something about the wiring. I didn't care about the wiring because I thought everything is oké. But it wasn't oké at all. Now I remembered that I saw 2 red wires on the small circuit (magnet) and that is not right. I checked the wires and discovered that both wires were connected with one connector to the small circuit. One wire came from the keyswitch and the other came from the charge unit and was also connected to the small circuit. When someone turned the key to start the engine, it started well but when the engine was running the small circuit got full charge power and burned through.