Solenoid replaced twice now replacing the third.

mc_harley

Threads
When I was servicing my Lawnmower, Stiga Park with 12,5hp Briggs and Stratton, I also replaced an old solenoid for a new one. The mower and engin were not used for several years. So I put a new solenoid on it to be sure it worked. The mower worked perfect and starting the B&S was excellent. When I sold the Lawnmower the new owner called me th same day and told me the engine didn't start with the key, just klicking. I went over and replaced the solenoid and everything was fine again. Two days later the new owner called me again and told me that the mower didn't start again with the key. I told him to shortcut the solenoid till I would come the replace the solenoid.
I like to know if someone can tell me if there is something that can cause the solenoid to burn through, or could it just be a matter off bad quallity? I saw that both replaced solenoid where made in China! Both replaced solenoids were new from the store but I couldn't return them to the shop because there was no quaranty on electric parts.
If someone has an idea, please tell me.

Mc Harley

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Had an issue with the briggs and stratton brands universal solenoids last year, where they would start the engine 1-3 times before burning out the engagement coils. I would say it is a quality issue. most places don't allow returns on electric parts purchased over the counter. I think in your case you may have a warranty issue with the solenoids, which a dealer could assist you on.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is the reason I try to buy OEM. Still not knowing where they are made??

mc_harley

Threads
I bought the parts from a Stiga dealer with a sticker on it "made in China" and the brand name Stiga. Now I think that the quality of these China parts is very bad. I still have a used oem part from a Stiga lawnmower. I tested it an it is working. I will use this one to repair the mower and in a few days I'll see if this is still working.
I will post it here.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I bought the parts from a Stiga dealer with a sticker on it "made in China" and the brand name Stiga. Now I think that the quality of these China parts is very bad. I still have a used oem part from a Stiga lawnmower. I tested it an it is working. I will use this one to repair the mower and in a few days I'll see if this is still working.
I will post it here.

Seeing you live in Europe I don't know what is available? If it was me I would get a older 12 volt Ford starter solenoid.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
As much as I hate Chinese crap, you likely have something else wrong....

mc_harley

Threads
That is what I like to know. What can it be, everything is connected like it should be and there is nothing to do wrong.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is what I like to know. What can it be, everything is connected like it should be and there is nothing to do wrong.

If every thing is hooked up right the only thing that could be burning out the starter solenoid is high amperage draw. Like a short in the cable from the solenoid to the starter, or the starter itself. If its the starter it could have a short in it or the bushings could be bad. You will need to do amperage draw test to check this not voltage. If you find the starter is bad I don't think parts are available to rebuild them so you will need to replace it.

mc_harley

Threads
Oké, thanx I will keep this in mind but today I changed the solenoid for an original Stiga (used) solenoid and the carb. because sometimes it flooded. In a few days I know if it is still working.
Till than, I will be back for info about the result.

gregjo1948

Threads
Not familiar with your engine but, some have built in compression release to assist in cranking. If the valves aren't adjusted correctly, it will crank hard when it comes up on compression stroke causing stain on the starter and solenoid. Maybe you should check valve clearance. gregjo1948