So much for watching the Stupid Bowl

smhardesty

Threads
The game was a real nail biter though, wasn't it? Best superbowl I've watched in a long time.
I have no idea what happened in the game. Are you being facetious or was it really a good game? Not that I'd have watched or will ever again watch. The only thing I know is that apparently they were kneeling during the National Anthem, or at the halftime show, or both, or something. I had an email about that, but never even bothered to go to the article. That's how little I care about the whole mess.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The game was a real nail biter though, wasn't it? Best superbowl I've watched in a long time.
I enjoyed it. I have learned to just ignore the racial and woke stuff. Most of the commercials were just juvenile and stupid and just plain skipped watching the halftime crap. I just focus on the game. I coached peewee for 7 years and one of my sons played Div 1 college ball. I enjoy a good game and just ignore the other garbage. Life's too short.

smhardesty

Threads
I enjoyed it. I have learned to just ignore the racial and woke stuff. Most of the commercials were just juvenile and stupid and just plain skipped watching the halftime crap. I just focus on the game. I coached peewee for 7 years and one of my sons played Div 1 college ball. I enjoy a good game and just ignore the other garbage. Life's too short.
We are located in an area that has two different independent league baseball teams, located about equal distances form our home. The two teams are in different leagues, so they don't face one another or any of the same opponents. Quite few years ago we attended our first independent league game and have gone to several since then. I no longer watch any of the NBA or NFL because of all the political crap involved. I told my wife recently that I might very well consider not watching MLB and instead go to several of the two teams' games. At least there you get to see talented individuals that are playing the game because they WANT to and are dedicated to the game, itself. Money doesn't drive these young men. The play because they love the game. I also found out recently that both teams have radio stations that carry all their games. Might be worth listening to instead of any of the MLB games.

Bob372

Forum Newbie
Threads
The instant you pay people to play "sport" it ceases to be a sport & becomes an entertainment .
And this applies to all sports
I used to watch junior Union matches at the local fields on my way home from the farmers markets Saturday afternoons once a month.
A far better game than anything at a pay to see field
I did watch some cricket over christmass and every umpire's decision was refferred to the video refferee
So the second night I ran a timer , these took better than a 1/2 hour of the 3 hour game .
Two reasons for this
1) for the TV audience, it builds up the suspense , like the quiz show host that takes a full minute to tell the contestant they got the answer right or wrong
2) because millions hang on every decision , the ref is scared to make a wrong decision
This breaks up the continuity of the game and frankly makes it boring and teaches the kids to ignore what the ref says and believe what the computer says and only the absolute right decision is acceptable
What ever happened to the "character building aspect of accepting the ref's decision is final, right or wrong
What's Cricket??? ;)

Bob372

Forum Newbie
Threads
It would have been a lot better if my Eagles hadn't fallen apart? The defensive coordinator should be tar and feathered.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks like we have those that enjoy sports and those who don’t. I played high school football and volleyball, plus college basketball, too short and slow in high school for the coach, and enjoy watching games whenever I can. If you were really involved at a younger age, or had children and grand children who participate, probably still are today. I attended the Ice Bowl in Green Bay and attended many major and minor league sporting events until my ability to sit on hard surfaces would not allow it, plus in a soft chair I get to sit closer to the action. As for the announcers and commercials, you have to learn to block out their BS. I do wish there were more announcers like Vince Scully, Harry Carey, Bob Uecker, Jack Brickhouse around. Those who are really bothered by todays crap, need to get a better life. Now don’t get my going on major news programs!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't forget Madden
I have given up on MLB. The Reds suck anyway. We have a minor league farm team that i enjoy going to games vs going to downtown cincy for a Reds game. I will never buy a ticket to a NFL game but i do like the occasional free ones. Could not care less about basketball. Never watch it. Wouldn't go if you gave me tickets.

smhardesty

Threads
I do wish there were more announcers like Vince Scully, Harry Carey, Bob Uecker, Jack Brickhouse around.
Oh, boy. Ain't that the truth? I think Scully is one of the absolute best baseball announcers in the history of the game, at least in my lifetime. LOL! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to him. I also listened to a lot of the Cubs games when Harry was announcing. The longer the game went, the drunker he got, and the more ridiculous some of the things he said got. LOL! I can recall a game where Harry was REALLY wound up. A player hit a ball and Harry started his, "Way back! It could be! It might be!" but then he finished with this: "He caught it 20 feet in front of the warning track." I laughed and laughed at that one. Oh, and don't forget Jack Buck. Again, maybe one of the best ever.

smhardesty

Threads
Don't forget Madden
I have given up on MLB. The Reds suck anyway. We have a minor league farm team that i enjoy going to games vs going to downtown cincy for a Reds game. I will never buy a ticket to a NFL game but i do like the occasional free ones. Could not care less about basketball. Never watch it. Wouldn't go if you gave me tickets.
A lot of people hated Madden. I thought he added a bit of reality to the game. He wasn't a smooth talking type of guy. He REALLY got into his announcing with all of his, "This guy goes here, and these other guys go there, and then,,,BLAM, he gets tackled for a loss". It was real, from a guy who loved the game. It was enjoyable, at least to me.

Yeah, the whole Independent League baseball thing is great for people that prefer watching guys playing for the love of the game. Sure, a lot of those guys are playing in the hopes they get the call "to the show". Even then, they are playing with real zest and love of the game. And going to one of those games will cost you one heck of a lot less than seeing an MLB game. A LOT less.

I quit watching the NBA and college hoops games way back when. I don't like the schoolyard rules they now use. Yeah, I'm old school, but traveling is traveling and palming the ball is palming the ball. Today's players do both every time they have the ball. I also played ball in school, along with football and baseball. When I played, taking four steps after picking the ball up on the way to the hoop was traveling, plain and simple. Now, 4 steps seems to be perfectly allowable. Nope, I'd rather watch our local high school boys play for a chance of getting to the state championship. No politics involved, and traveling is still traveling and palming is still palming. I think there is more heart on the floor during some of these high school games than all the NBA combined.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IF you think it was bad over there , just imagine what it is like over here
Apparently there was an Aussie import on one of the teams so of course that was what filled every news broadcast for the whole week.
As if he outcome of a football game in the USA will make a difference to players in Australia.
even worse they get a local big mouth to add comentry over the top of the USA ones and naturally none of them have the feintest idea about how the game is played.
But doing this allows the TV station to add the broadcast to their "Aussie list" to fill the local content mandate.