Ryobi RM480E 38" riding mower won't move!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
But isn't battery power the greatest thing around? I think I wait it gets better perfected. Great for handhelds not so riding mowers at leas not yet.
Sure is. What would a person buy next? Haven't seen a wind up rider yet.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sure is. What would a person buy next? Haven't seen a wind up rider yet.
I know it is hard to figure out. Here I fencing the property and buying a few goats but of they probably get banned too.

It was not too long ago when EFI vehicles came on the market and there were a lot teething pains with them until they perfected them. It was a huge learning curve for both the manufacture and the mechanics.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Battery powered tools have their place
The No 1 thing in their favour is convience , particular for stuff that is rarely used .
However they are not the answer to CO2 pollution that they are marketed as and in fact over all pollution for battery power is significantly higher than petrol power.
And of course a petrol powered chainsaw will not burn down your house .
There is still not an economic way to recycle the batteries and of course you have the problems of recycling the old tool when batteries are NLA for them .
Because battery power is a lot cleaner than alternator power the factory can confidently use a lot more complex electronics which lends itself to built in obsolesence much like the chip in a printer cartridge that prevents you using all of the ink .

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
I'm quite certain ICE-powered tools and the fuel stored for their use have contributed to the severity of house fires. One of the reasons many ordinances are around requiring water heaters to be lifted off the floor is to reduce the chance of fumes being ignited.

That said, it is true that batteries are approaching the energy density of low-grade explosives.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To date there has supposedly been 22 houses burned down due to faulty batteries / chargers on electric cars.
If a can of fuel ignites you can put it out with a variety of extinguishers
If a battery ignites you can not put it out so all you can do is try to drag it clear of the building
Phones & lap tops generally just char the besk and stink the house out for months
However most tools now days & particularly big batteries used for ride ons & cars are near impossible to get close enough to without furnace suits .
Combustable liquids usually make an existing fire worse
Very rarely are they the cause of the fire.

Tell your insurance company you are bolting a Tesla Power wall to your house and see what happens to your insurance premium.

CJShadow

Forum Newbie
Threads
One more joining the party. I've got an intermittent mix of both issues. Last summer the blades would sometimes not engage, but toggling the switch a few times would usually get them going again. 2 weeks ago, started getting the loss of forward/reverse. Toggling the key would bring that back, sometimes. Mine's about 4 years old, so I've gotten great use out of it so far. I've been trying to track down this troubleshooting repair manual, but have only been able to find the zero turn version posted. I've emailed Ryobi tech support, and they have the bots working the inboxes with canned responses.

I see @Dingo-J hasn't been on in a few months, does anyone else have it, that could send it my way? Thanks for any help

CPeper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yup...I’m having the same problem. Just started happening today. Blades will run, but the mower won’t move!
I just replaced my motor controller in the left hand side and it has appeared to fix the problem. Purchased a Homelight 996508001 drive Motor Controller from SEPW.com for $288 and a 3 month lead time. Haven’t been able to give it a full test yet because it’s winter but was able to drive it around the garage. I plan to open up the failed unit to see if I can find and replace the failed component.

Lazyworm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I wonder if anyone still have the repair manual that can share with me? Mine starts fine, but it stop and beeps after few sec and the The letter H at the digital display blinks. I noticed if it move very slow without making the letter H blinks, it can move further.
I wonder if it is related to the speed sensor or temperature sensor mentioned earlier in this thread. I tested the seat sensor with the multimeter and it seems fine,

Fourdoor

Threads
Anyone have Dingo-J's repair manual that they can e-mail me? I messaged him, but he hasn't been on the board in the last 5 months, so I am not hopeful about getting it from him. My issue is different than the common one in this thread, but the repair manual would be a great help.

Keith

rlbindy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anyone have Dingo-J's repair manual that they can e-mail me? I messaged him, but he hasn't been on the board in the last 5 months, so I am not hopeful about getting it from him. My issue is different than the common one in this thread, but the repair manual would be a great help.

Keith
I'm not sure if this is the exact troubleshooting guide that was posted earlier, but it's the one the repair shop gave me back in 2020 for the rm480e. It's a pretty useful manual, hope it helps others looking for help on this thing. Mine has been working fine now since I got the drive controller replaced. The shop had it for about 2 months at the end of the mowing season in 2020. I'm going to test the batteries out since I think I'll be due for new ones this season. I plan to use it for awhile before I go all out just to make sure it's functioning to start the season.

It's too big to attach to this post but I'll include a link to it in Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fKIkId97MnDxbb8Kpo3okl2VAhGpMNx8/view?usp=sharing