Ryobi RM480E 38" riding mower won't move!

Johneable

Forum Newbie
Threads
Unbelievable!

I thought I did so much research on the Ryobi RM300e but clearly I was way wrong. I bought it on June 4th I tried to mow for the 3rd time ever it lasted all of 5 minutes then suddenly I had the same issue so many others on here have. I could not move forward or reverse all the mower does is beep at me when I do try to move actually specificly it beeps 8 times. The blade will engage, lights work, batteries full. It just won't move. I'll call Ryobi tomorrow to see what they say but if it's not a simple I mean super simple fix (I bought this mower specifically because they advertise it as a less maintenance alternative to gas and I know absolutely nothing about engines, gas or electric) I'm taking this Lemon back to Home Depot.
Mine beeps 4 times, won’t move either. Called Ryobi, said it is a defective GUAGE! Ok. Sending me a guage. For the life of me I don’t see how that is the problem. Been a couple weeks, no gauge. Will check back After replaced.

richh

Forum Newbie
Threads
have been though 2 sets of batteries, only 3 years old. one battery cell swelled and smoked/boiled and in a pannic i disconnected the battery cables. pushing the thing to my shop i noticed the wheel drive resisting like it was trying to generate electric to something.Now trying to connect another set of batts and NOTHING works now....bad need of an electrical shematic... can someone help.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Please donate all Ryobi electrics to the government to keep the white house lawn manicured .

KJR77

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m jumping into this thread and registered to see if someone has a similar problem. Although the OP and others issue here is similar, my issue is a bit different but maybe related. 1.5 year old RM480e with 21 hours on it and just this week it started to click repeatedly when the ignition key is turned to ON position. Shows half battery life and clicks down below like it’s trying to engage something under the seat - battery area. Will not engage FWD or REV or move. However after repeated attempts (I find that the way I turn the key seems to matter) it shows full battery doesn’t click and engages without issue. I’ve gotten stuck in the backyard turning it off to empty bags and it seems super finicky on that ignition switch. My thought was fault switch but after reading this I recall numerous times my FWD or REv wouldn’t engage until I repeatedly turned it off and on. Thoughts?

Johneable

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like the key switch. Easy to access, check for loose connections. Maybe spray some tuner cleaner in switch.

bushed286

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I wonder if anyone still have the repair manual that can share with me? Mine starts fine, but it stop and beeps after few sec and the The letter H at the digital display blinks. I noticed if it move very slow without making the letter H blinks, it can move further.
I wonder if it is related to the speed sensor or temperature sensor mentioned earlier in this thread. I tested the seat sensor with the multimeter and it seems fine,
Hi @Lazyworm did you find a solution? I'm having the exact same issue.

sledbiker

Forum Newbie
Threads
My RY48112 got hit by lighting, doesn't do anything, just a Brick. The charger got hit hard and was connected to both 110v and mower.

What your thoughts

Attachments

• IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    610.9 KB · Views: 18

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think you were lucky that the mower did not catch fire .

Xergxies

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just ordered a new drive motor controller 996508001. Looking at testing my batteries too, since my mowing time is down significantly. I saw posts about MightMAX AGM batteries with flat connectors but how are you connecting that to the ryobi terminals since the old batteries look to have round posts similar to car batteries? Thanks for all the great info!

EDIT: Installed the drive motor controller and mower working again. Sucked up about 15 loads of leaves before the battery went yellow. Will look at replacing one or two of the batteries this year.

Last edited:

RaYzerman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, went to use the lawn tractor and everything works except it won't move..... it's only a year or so old and has 20 hours... going in for exploratory surgery today...... I won't be happy if it's the controller..