Rookie mistake; Left key "on" overnight.

Roll

Threads
Don't know. Didn't consider that. It's an idea but I also respect the integrity of the concept of the hour meter. I think you are suggesting I disconnect it, mark time for the 21 extra hours and then reconnect. I could but truthfully, the 4-year warranty will expire long before I have 500 hours on it. Mine is a residence mower. It took me 10 years to put 500 hours on the old JD. Thanks for the idea. If the discrepancy tugs at my OCD I might do it but so far I have been able to keep OCD in the background, mostly, well, a little anyway.

Tbone0106

Threads
Can you disconnect the meter? I can on my Toro.
One way to look at it, but it's simpler just to remove the key. Even if the hour meter is disconnected, you still have things like the carburetor anti-backfire solenoid to deal with, and item that likely consumes more battery juice than the hour meter.

I worked heavy highway for many years. Many of the pieces of heavy equipment I dealt with -- graders, bulldozers, excavators, etc. -- had "master switches," which were heavy gauge keyed switches that completely isolated the batteries from everything when they were in the OFF position. It was more of an anti-theft and anti-tampering device, but it also helped keep the batteries alive.

Roll

Threads
One way to look at it, but it's simpler just to remove the key. Even if the hour meter is disconnected, you still have things like the carburetor anti-backfire solenoid to deal with, and item that likely consumes more battery juice than the hour meter.

I worked heavy highway for many years. Many of the pieces of heavy equipment I dealt with -- graders, bulldozers, excavators, etc. -- had "master switches," which were heavy gauge keyed switches that completely isolated the batteries from everything when they were in the OFF position. It was more of an anti-theft and anti-tampering device, but it also helped keep the batteries alive.
We have a master switch in the motor coach. Same effect. Only item that remains attached is a solar panel on the roof.

MowerBladeService

Forum Newbie
Threads
So now my hour meter shows over 24 hours instead of the 4 hours is should. I don't suppose I can turn that back? It was a stupid thing to do although I had previously thought that the hour meter only registered time when you were driving it or mowing. Nonetheless, I should have checked the key before I locked the shed doors.
the old units did only work when the engine was running, not sure when they changed that.

Roll

Threads
So I've heard. Thanks for the response. I made a note in the unlikely event it becomes an issue.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First os all it is a mower not the space shuttle.
The hour meter is for convienance because people forget to do things like change the oil
On around 50% of the mowers I service the hour meter has ceased to work a very long time ago .
Change your oil after the final cut of the season
Change the oil filter on every even year
If you want change the spark plugs at the same time
Do a hydro service ( filter &/or oil ) on every "0" year
Write the date on the air filter & oil filter with a paint pen when you replace them .
If the air filter looks clean on the inside then replace it on every 5th year , 2020 / 2025 / 2030 etc
Hour meters are all wired differently
Some are ignition on , some are engine running & some are blades running and the appointed change time will always happen at an inconvienant date .
The mower will not shut down or blow up if all of the services are not done exactly on time

Roll

Threads
Thanks Bert Good advice.

Threads
It doesn't hurt to change the air filter once or twice while doing leaf clean ups. Mine gets dirty real fast. The air filter and element is inexpensive.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes replace the cheap things to save the expensive ones .
However it will vary from mower to mower.
My own mowers get new filters every 5 years and even then most could go substantially longer .
People look at the wrong side of a filter to decide if it needs changing
what is important is the INSIDE not the outside, in fact the more debris on the outside the better the filter works till of course it is so clogged that the engine runs rich.
Staining on the inside ( or a rich running engine ) means the filter needs changing.What they don't need is to be consistantly removed & replaced as on most this will damage the seal between the filter & the housing allowing it to leak.
Th FR series kawasaki engines are very prone to this because of the poor clamping system ( over tightening the thumb screw caused a leak )