Rookie mistake; Left key "on" overnight.

Roll

Threads
So now my hour meter shows over 24 hours instead of the 4 hours is should. I don't suppose I can turn that back? It was a stupid thing to do although I had previously thought that the hour meter only registered time when you were driving it or mowing. Nonetheless, I should have checked the key before I locked the shed doors.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No
you can replace it or make a note in your owners manual that the hours are 24 out.
Trust me you will do it again everyone does.
Mower engines are not a high precision engine like your car so doing a service +/- 24 hours will make zero difference.
I get my customers to change oil after the last mow of the season & ignore the hour meter .
If they get me to do the service then it is every odd ( or even ) year or every leap year for those counting pennies .

Roll

Threads
I figured as much, would make the hour meter useless as a measure of "mileage" on a rig. It would have had 4 hours on it give or take 15 minutes. I'll note that 20 hours is "Key" time and not use. It was inevitable I would do this. So at least I didn't leave it on after closing the shed for the winter. Now I hang the key near the mower when I put it in the shed. That habit, once ingrained, will help stop me from doing this again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Better still is to get a 2" key loop and hang the key over the dip stick every time you finish mowing.
Firstly it prevents you leaving it turned on
Secondly it encourages you to check the oil before each use
Finally it keeps the key hidden

Lawn Addict
Threads
What he said !

Tbone0106

Threads
I have mowed the grass at our church for years. The church mower is a trusty old Cub RZT50, a pure grass-cutting machine with the 22 hp Kawasaki V-twin. We keep it (and other things) in a pole barn behind the parsonage. That barn is also a sort of hang-out for the church's youth group.

But I've had two recurring problems. First, the five-gallon gas cans were always empty, as in bone dry, even though I kept them full and it only takes about three gallons to mow the acreage. Second, too many times the battery on the RZT was dead because someone turned the key on, and left it on, while the mower was just sitting in the barn. (That hour meter alone will drain the battery over days.)

Solution: place the mower key on a ring with another key that works with the large padlock that binds the steel chain on the barn doors. I carry those keys with me, and now the gas magically stays in the cans and the battery is miraculously charged all the time.

Roll

Threads
I have mowed the grass at our church for years. The church mower is a trusty old Cub RZT50, a pure grass-cutting machine with the 22 hp Kawasaki V-twin. We keep it (and other things) in a pole barn behind the parsonage. That barn is also a sort of hang-out for the church's youth group.

But I've had two recurring problems. First, the five-gallon gas cans were always empty, as in bone dry, even though I kept them full and it only takes about three gallons to mow the acreage. Second, too many times the battery on the RZT was dead because someone turned the key on, and left it on, while the mower was just sitting in the barn. (That hour meter alone will drain the battery over days.)

Solution: place the mower key on a ring with another key that works with the large padlock that binds the steel chain on the barn doors. I carry those keys with me, and now the gas magically stays in the cans and the battery is miraculously charged all the time.
LOL. Yes, experience and a keen mind can solve most human type of problems. They are all good kids, until for a minute, they are not.

Tbone0106

Threads
LOL. Yes, experience and a keen mind can solve most human type of problems. They are all good kids, until for a minute, they are not.
Heh. I like to say that we call them children because they're not yet people.

Roll

Threads
Heh. I like to say that we call them children because they're not yet people.
No they are not. And they don't really want to listen even though we have lived through the same things that were just labeled a little differently. Our kids are in their 40's now and still...do you think they might listen for a moment. Nope. We love them all, very much but we also love the grandkids, (12 now) even more. ;-) And the grandkids listen!

Tbone0106

Threads
No they are not. And they don't really want to listen even though we have lived through the same things that were just labeled a little differently. Our kids are in their 40's now and still...do you think they might listen for a moment. Nope. We love them all, very much but we also love the grandkids, (12 now) even more. ;-) And the grandkids listen!
It's strange, don't you think? The grandkids seem to listen better than their parents do, but they also listen better to us than to their own parents! It's like they figure we must know a few things, otherwise we never would have gotten so old. LOL

I note that you retired a JD LT160 recently. A good friend of mine at our church has an LT160 and I work on it occasionally, mainly because my good friend is so very good at breaking things. He has one acre of grass and three riding mowers -- the JD plus a super-nice Cub LT1046 and a Troy-Bilt monstrosity that I have advised him to sell forthwith. I routinely service all three because he and his wife and child routinely break them. The JD is a nice little mower; bulletproof motor! My friend and his wife insist on shaving their lawn impossibly short, and that always leads to problems. I replaced the drive belt on that puppy last year, and I think I'll just pass on that task in the future.