Replacing your blades

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So, for the end user: you have at least two methods of approaching this dilemma. The one that works for you, works for you.

I'm wondering if I don't have that issue because invariably, some anti-seize gets on the bolt face. Rather than spinning the bolt when it hits an obstruction, the blade spins under it. All I know is that it works for me and I'll continue to keep applying it as needed. It works as advertised. I had a few times where I had to really use a breaker bar to loosen the nut. After I started using anti-seize, I haven't had an issue with it at all. My 18V Ryobi Impact zings it right off and then it zings it back on. I sharpen or replace blades every 8 hours or so, which is a single mowing.
That could actually be happening.
Had not thought of that

Joezera

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a Cub Cadet 52 inch deck model first and now have a Toro zero turn model 74778. On both I use(d) a length of pipe that is about 3ft. long and has reducers to drop down from about a 3" OD to 1" that I slide over the end of a blade to hold it still while I use a ratchet and socket with an extension bar to remove and install the blades. I have not had to use anti-seize compound on the bolts so far.

The one thing that causes the blades to become dull in my yard is that we have lots of crayfish which create mud towers after rains. The soil is clay and when it hardens the towers are hard as bricks! I sometimes have to resort to using my John Deere 5105 with a brush-hog to knock them down and then proceed with the Toro. We live in the country and have about 20 acres. The riding lawnmower only takes care of about 2.5 acres near the house and our barn.

We each seem to find solutions that work for us. I use a grind wheel mounted on a table with wheels to sharpen the blades. This helps the work go quicker. I recently had to replace one blade which had hit a piece of steel protruding above the ground that put a large notch in the blade. I check balance to make sure I am not creating excessive vibration.

I clean off the top of the mowing deck using compressed air after mowing. I make sure that the cooling air intake is clean and also check and clean the air intake for the engine.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess i am the outlaw here. I don't use antiseize compound on blade bolts. I just wipe some #2 grease on the threads and zip the blades on with an impact gun. Never had a blade come loose or one i couldn't get back off with a few hits of the impact. Only ones i have to cut off are the ones customers bring in with bolt heads already rounded off (not by me).

Daddio7

Threads
Must have a tiny yard and no sand. After two years of cutting my half acre Florida lawn my blades are 1/2 an inch shorter and an inch narrower at the tip. Invest in an electric impact wrench or if you have an air compressor get a half inch air impact tool. Get a set of impact sockets to go with them. Cheap Harbot Freight tools are good enough for occasional home owner use.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Bottom line here on this subject is, go with what works best and most comfortable for you when replacing / removing blades on your mower.

Last edited:

Smithsonite

Threads
My blade removal tool is an impact gun. Never had to fight any blades in 10 years of daily repairs for customers.

Today's electric ones are amazing, as well. Almost as powerful as a pneumatic. Some brands are right there. That Harbor Freight Earthquake has proven itself in commercial settings. Best bang for the buck out there, I'd say.

Hustler27

Threads
Hex socket instead of 12 point, an a 30" breaker bar an it came right off. New blades make it feel like a new mower. :)

enigma-2

Threads
I use a Dewalt 20 volt battery powered DCF880 Impact wrench. Never have a problem getting the blades off (or on, never use a torque wrench). Usually the blade nut just pops after a few impacts.

Had a blade on an old tractor years ago. Used a corded Impact wrench on it, took about 5 minutes of pounding, but it finally popped loose. Had been on ?? years.

Can't recommend Dewalt 20 volt tools stronger. They make all work simple and last and last.

BTW, I don't use impact sockets. Never had a regular socket fail (I use Craftsmen). Suppose I should, but can't justify the price based of how little I need them.