Replacement for a Quantum engine on a rotary mower

Oddjob

Threads
Wizard, if I were you I’d keep an eye on Craigslist for someone giving away a mower with a good engine and a rusted out deck or sometimes even a good mower with nothing wrong but a dirty carburetor. Or, visit your local recycling center and see if you can score an engine there. Since your Toro is still useable you have the luxury of waiting for one to turn up. I see free mowers in my Craigslist every couple of weeks. The Briggs on your Toro is very popular and there are lots of them out there.

theoldwizard1

Threads
Wizard, if I were you I’d keep an eye on Craigslist for someone giving away a mower with a good engine and a rusted out deck or sometimes even a good mower with nothing wrong but a dirty carburetor.
That is what my son said ! I was hoping to not buy a used one, but ...

Erubi

Threads
I replaced the B&S Quantum on my Snapper with HF Predator making adjustments for mounting and crankshaft size and it works fine. Amazon also sells a similar engine. I would suggest a coupon or sale.

Oddjob

Threads
That is what my son said ! I was hoping to not buy a used one, but ...
Remember, the engine you had that ran well until it began to smoke was a used engine and the mower you are installing it in is a used mower, too. And the new Predator will be a used engine as soon as you mow with it. Most mowers get taken out of service because they were left out in the elements or had clogged carbs or bad fuel or a stuck choke, not from being used and worn out.