Repair Kubota

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
"No, I didn't follow mikebarbers thinking. Your lift pump is mechanical, isn't it? If so, there's no electricity to it to be cut off. "

pump might be mechanical but think about how engine runs n stops usually a key switch operation to a solenoid
I have thought about it. If the fuel cutoff is electric, the engine will die abruptly when that electricity is cut off, not wind down as the OP describes.

mikebarber

Threads
seems like there is often an exception if solenoid was sticky in the bore BUT AS I SAID I DIDN"T KNOW IT RAN THAT LONG YEP MY FAULT FOR SKIMMING OVER TOO QUICK

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
cambre, read this. This is from another post that has a 'similar' problem. It's a Kubota gas mower, but the problem is similar to yours:

Sharing this public service announcement for what it's worth as my local dealer says they've seen it on a number of the Kommander ZT's.

I have a 2013 ZG124E with a 48" deck. Last fall for no apparent reason I could think of, it started stalling & running rough. Like it couldn't get enough fuel. It would run okay for 5-10 under PTO load after I started and would stall. After that, I couldn't keep it going for more than several seconds. When I came back to it the next weekend, same thing.

I tried:

• Cleaning the carb
  • Adding Dry Gas
  • Replacing the fuel filter
  • Replacing the air filter
  • Checking the plugs

All with no luck. After a conversation with the service guy at my Kubota dealer, he said it was likely tube mechanism going into the gas tank. There is a 90 degree bend which apparently allows debris (grass) to get stuck, limiting fuel flow. After it sits for 10 minutes or an hour or a day, gravity pulls the debris back into the tank where the cycle can start all over. How debris is getting in there is a mystery.

The fix is a new tube to insert into the gas tank which has a mesh screen on it. Cost me $18.

Took literally 2 minutes to install and the first time I started it, it ran as strong as ever.

Hope this saves some of you some time, money and headache!

cambre

Threads
cambre, read this. This is from another post that has a 'similar' problem. It's a Kubota gas mower, but the problem is similar to yours:

Sharing this public service announcement for what it's worth as my local dealer says they've seen it on a number of the Kommander ZT's.

I have a 2013 ZG124E with a 48" deck. Last fall for no apparent reason I could think of, it started stalling & running rough. Like it couldn't get enough fuel. It would run okay for 5-10 under PTO load after I started and would stall. After that, I couldn't keep it going for more than several seconds. When I came back to it the next weekend, same thing.

I tried:

• Cleaning the carb
  • Adding Dry Gas
  • Checking the plugs

All with no luck. After a conversation with the service guy at my Kubota dealer, he said it was likely tube mechanism going into the gas tank. There is a 90 degree bend which apparently allows debris (grass) to get stuck, limiting fuel flow. After it sits for 10 minutes or an hour or a day, gravity pulls the debris back into the tank where the cycle can start all over. How debris is getting in there is a mystery.

The fix is a new tube to insert into the gas tank which has a mesh screen on it. Cost me $18.

Took literally 2 minutes to install and the first time I started it, it ran as strong as ever.

II will clean out the tube.

I tried:

• Cleaning the carb
  • Adding Dry Gas
  • Checking the plugs

I tried:

• Cleaning the carb
  • Adding Dry Gas
  • Checking the plugs

This makes sense, I will pull out tube, blow air through tube.

cambre

Threads
Here's the thread: https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/thre...ms-sputtering-stalling-etc.47223/#post-359422

Look at the debris in that tube. Yours may have a similar fuel pickup.

I won't be around until late afternoon if you have questions but there are plenty of other people a lot smarter than me on here.

I tried:

• Cleaning the carb
  • Adding Dry Gas
  • Checking the plugs

[/QUOTE
Here's the thread: https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/thre...ms-sputtering-stalling-etc.47223/#post-359422

Look at the debris in that tube. Yours may have a similar fuel pickup.

I won't be around until late afternoon if you have questions but there are plenty of other people a lot smarter than me on here.
I pulled tube from the tank, blew it out with compressed air, nothing came out. I blew out the hose going to first filter, all clear. That was good post you sent. Thanks very much.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did that tube have any kind of a screen on it?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you see in the tank to tell if there is any contamination in there?

After reading about the problems that person had with the gas powered Kubota Zero Turn, I would make sure the tank doesn't have any debris in it. All the symptoms point to fuel starvation. I don't know how much trouble it would be to remove the tank and give it a good cleaning but I think that's where I'd look now and also to replacing that fuel pickup tube with the Kubota replacement tube that has the screen over the end.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it but right now I'm out of ideas other than cleaning every component in the fuel supply system and making sure they have adequate flow through them.

cambre

Threads
Can you see in the tank to tell if there is any contamination in there?

After reading about the problems that person had with the gas powered Kubota Zero Turn, I would make sure the tank doesn't have any debris in it. All the symptoms point to fuel starvation. I don't know how much trouble it would be to remove the tank and give it a good cleaning but I think that's where I'd look now and also to replacing that fuel pickup tube with the Kubota replacement tube that has the screen over the end.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it but right now I'm out of ideas other than cleaning every component in the fuel supply system and making sure they have adequate flow through them.
I will look inside the tank with a brighter flash lite. That was good reading about Kubota Zero Turn. Enough grass stuck in the tube to feed a cow. Don't know how that could have gotten in the tank. I haven't put the electric fuel pump on yet, my T fittings finally came in yesterday. Do you think it may help? I am going to make a video of it starting and when it dies. I don't know how to do this but I have a good friend who does, then I will post it. Thanks again for all your help.