Raptor SD cut quality - any recommendations?

turboawd

Threads
am i going to regret getting a raptor sd 54? i will mainly being using it to cut tall grass. maybe 6" to 1' tall, empty lots.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
am i going to regret getting a raptor sd 54? i will mainly being using it to cut tall grass. maybe 6" to 1' tall, empty lots.

If you haven't read this whole thread you may want to before you buy, Take a good look at the photo's and you can make up your mind.

flightco

Threads
From my experience I would say will you be happy with it, talk to mooch and PV and they will tell you will hate it. Why don't you demo one for a couple days and see for yourself.

DK35vince

Threads
That's the main reason I went with the 48" instead of the 54"...POWER...I feel like mine would be under powered if I had the 54"...I have plenty of horse's for the 48".
And that is why I went with the 35 HP when I upsized to the 72" Super Z.
We mow our lawn once per week, and there was a lot of times where we couldn't mow at top speed ( 8 MPH) with our 23 HP 54" FasTrak . Had to always slow down because I was running out of power.
I mow much of our lawn now at full speed (13-14 MPH) with the 72" Super Z and not run out of power. It impresses me with its speed and power ever time I use it. I'm sure glad I went with the 35HP and not the 28. I have no doubt that I would have been running into the same issue of not enough power mowing at those speeds if I had went with the 28.

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

If your going to attempt 6" to a 1' foot tall grass my choice would be a good 48" walk behind, it would do the job well. It just depends on what type of cut your looking for, I wouldn't attempt foot tall grass with a ztr.

turboawd

Threads
If you haven't read this whole thread you may want to before you buy, Take a good look at the photo's and you can make up your mind.

well, the lawns i'll be cutting wont matter how they look. lol
these raptors cant cut any worse than my old home depot cub cadet, could it?
If your going to attempt 6" to a 1' foot tall grass my choice would be a good 48" walk behind, it would do the job well. It just depends on what type of cut your looking for, I wouldn't attempt foot tall grass with a ztr.

walk? i suppose i could use the excercise, but it aint gonna happen. :rolleyes:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

walk? i suppose i could use the exercise, but it ain't gonna happen. :rolleyes:

If they don't matter how they look I'd say stick to the old home depot cub cadet, why waste the money on a ZTR. Seriously a ZTR wasn't designed for a bush hog, the tractor would be just as fast if that's your trying to accomplish.

KrashnKraka

Threads
[...]
...mine also has a chain hung deck which is very important to the point where I feel it can't be over stated...all new FT models have bracket hung decks...in order to get a chain hung deck now you must step up to the X-one series...
[...]

Would you kindly expand on chain over brackets?
Why is this feature so important?
The chain hung deck still has forward mounted height
adjust "brackets", yes/no?

Cheers

PVHIII

Threads
Would you kindly expand on chain over brackets?
Why is this feature so important?
The chain hung deck still has forward mounted height
adjust "brackets", yes/no?

Cheers

The chains allow for the deck to basically float which gives you a much better cut and THEY DON'T BEND.

PVHIII

Threads

walk? i suppose i could use the excercise, but it aint gonna happen. :rolleyes:

The Raptor that I bought and happily returned for a refund...did not cut as well as the Troy-Built lawn tractor I traded in for it...and the lil stump I hit that bent the deck mounts...my Troy-Built would have been able to absorb the impact because there was some play in the deck mounts it would give a little instead of bending the deck mounts like the Raptor did.