Raised bed gardening

grnspot110

Threads
We have never tried raised beds, but these pictures are a great inspiration. Our biggest problem is that our entire property slopes this way and that. Could landscaping blocks be used for edging a raised bed? We've used them to make walls before, and it might be a way to create some new garden space.

The inter-locking wall blocks will work fine! One of my gardens has used RR ties for a retaining wall, two ties high. This levels up the slope for a more level garden. ~~ grnspot110

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
One of my gardens has used RR ties for a retaining wall, two ties high. This levels up the slope for a more level garden. ~~ grnspot110

My mom liked RR ties several high, to bring the plants up higher, less bending over during the early, intensive weeding time, then when the plants got bigger, lots of mulch to stop weed growth and hold the moisture... and everything up knee high or higher. :smile:KennyV

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert...
You have the perfect set up.
Even a place for the Bee's ... :smile:KennyV
If you've got bees...put em in the garden where they do the most good. Thats a chicken coop on the other side for insect control. I hope everybody like the pictures, cause I got stung while taking them. I hate getting stung!:mad:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I hope everybody like the pictures, cause I got stung while taking them. I hate getting stung!:mad:

Some Bees are a bit camera shy:biggrin::biggrin:...

Chickens are the BEST insect getters ... :smile:KennyV

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some Bees are a bit camera shy:biggrin::biggrin:...

Chickens are the BEST insect getters ... :smile:KennyV

I'm told Gunea Hens beat Chickens for getting the bugs - second hand info. !

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm told Gunea Hens beat Chickens for getting the bugs - second hand info. !

Guineas are lots of fun and very much into snacking on whatever moves... but like Peacocks, they are very unpredictable where they want to be... both are mostly gone during the day and come back at night to roost in the trees.
As a kid we had all three, Guineas are fast and good fliers & roamers so almost imposable to pen up... :smile:KennyV