Raised bed gardening

Shaun

Threads
Do any of you do any raised bed gardening? Our yard is not very well suited to a garden so we are considering trying the raised bed option. Our other option is to go plant a garden at my in laws house. Does anything grow especially poorly in a raised bed garden?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey... if you can get the weeding done at your in-laws ... that could add a plus to that option:laughing:.

Actually if you can do it at yours, elevated or not ... you will like the daily progress that will be handy to keep track of... If you can do it at your most continent location... and in the process you will be able to improve the soil for future years... :smile:KennyV

BlueGrass

Threads
I was thinking of starting a raised bed garden this summer too! How high does it have to be? I want it to be high enough to where the dogs won't get in it. Plus there are a lot of squirrels around here. What should I do about them? Do I have to put some kind of chicken wire around the garden?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was thinking of starting a raised bed garden this summer too! How high does it have to be? I want it to be high enough to where the dogs won't get in it. Plus there are a lot of squirrels around here. What should I do about them? Do I have to put some kind of chicken wire around the garden?

I have 7 raised bed garden boxes. They provide much needed drainage and air circulation for hardening at this geography. I can supply the details of the construction my boxes if anyone is interested. A substantial investment, but should remain in service long enough to be used again as my coffin:cool:.

SallyA

Threads
I've been thinking about trying raised beds. I'd like to know how yours are constructed and especially their dimensions. Do you plant single varieties in each one, or inter-plant varieties that complement each other like bio-dynamic gardening?

grnspot110

Threads
This is my raised bed garden, 24' square. I just turn the ground to the center of the bed each fall, keeping the bed 5-6" higher than the walkway, never stepping in the beds. I use a modified "square foot" planting system instead of rows, except trellised plants like peas. Has worked very well for me in this location for 25 years. Mulch holds down weeds & controls moisture. ~~ grnspot110

Sorry, didn't get the pics in order!

I might also ad that the ground under this garden is pure yellow clay! When we bought the property, this was the only spot for a garden. We later acquired more ground enabling us to have another 24' x 24' garden, less a 10' x10' greenhouse. Then a third that is now only used for ornamentals.

Attachments

• Gardens 2009 017 - Copy.jpg
    Gardens 2009 017 - Copy.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Gardens 2009 038 - Copy.jpg
    Gardens 2009 038 - Copy.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Gardens 2009 037 (Custom).jpg
    Gardens 2009 037 (Custom).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Gardens 2009 060 - Copy.jpg
    Gardens 2009 060 - Copy.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 8

Shaun

Threads
Robert I would love to know more about how to construct them. I would much prefer to be able to have the garden at home so that we can keep a close eye on it.

monica123

Threads
I would love info on construction them as well, my husband is handy. What kind of wood is best, do you put a bottom in them? What do you use for drainage?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
My raised beds or garden boxes as they have been referred to, are made from dimensional pressure treated lumber. I use (2) 2x8 boards for all 4 sides (I have both square and rectangular beds or boxes).
The sides are 14-1/2" high and the corners are held together with 3/8" galvanized cariage bolts.
The corners are stabilized with 4x4 post on the inside of the box. The 2x8 and 4x4 posts are through bolted as shown. I haven't had time to take pictures but if you need them I'll post tomorrow.
The boxes are lined but have provisions for draining. As far as the length goes I cut the lengths to make good use of the lumber with no waste, so the dimensions can be considered to suit your space, ability and produce demand.
The hole layout for the 4x4 is shown. This shows 6 holes drilled through each post. The holes accomadate bolts for the short end (2, 1 for eack 2x8) and for the long side (4, 2 for each 2x8) The holes are stagered to facilitate this assembly. This (drilling) is easy to screw up and I suggest you use a drill press to make the job easier (Harbor Freight bench model).
The other pdf shows the long side of the box elevation.
I use 1x4 pt lumber around the top and those corners were mitered but that is not necessary pt lumber is going to shrink and warp so either way....

AndyMan

Threads
We have never tried raised beds, but these pictures are a great inspiration. Our biggest problem is that our entire property slopes this way and that. Could landscaping blocks be used for edging a raised bed? We've used them to make walls before, and it might be a way to create some new garden space.